Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Remembering the hard work teachers do

Winnipeg South Centre MP Constituency report

• Print
Winnipeg South Centre MP Joyce Bateman with Speaker Andrew Scheer and local teachers.

SUPPLIED PHOTO Enlarge Image

Winnipeg South Centre MP Joyce Bateman with Speaker Andrew Scheer and local teachers. Photo Store

It was in my years as a school trustee and mother of two school-aged children that I really began to appreciate first-hand the hard work, dedication and sacrifice that goes into being a teacher.

Being a teacher goes beyond the classroom whether it is coaching sports teams, chaperoning events, directing school plays, and so much more.

Oct. 5 was World Teachers’ Day, a day to celebrate the role teachers’ play in providing quality education. With students now back to school for another year, let’s remember all the teachers, from those who first taught us to read and write to those who are now teaching the next generation.  

As the Member of Parliament for Winnipeg South Centre, I’ve had the privilege and honour to meet many wonderful teachers in the community who are dedicated to not only their responsibility as educators, but also guiding and supporting our next generation of scientists, entrepreneurs, community leaders, and of course, teachers.

Our government is unwavering in its support for teachers and education. By investing in education, we’re investing in the future. This year, as we celebrate World Teachers’ Day, let’s remember to appreciate all the hard work and dedication of the educators, coaches and mentors.

As a former school trustee, I also want to remind everyone that school trustees in Winnipeg school divisions will be elected during the civic election that will be held on Wed., Oct. 22.

Preparing for and participating in school board and committee meetings are the main functions of a school trustee. The school board determines the policy under which a division operates and the decisions made by a school board at its meetings set the overall direction for the school division. I learned first-hand the job of a trustee is one of governance. The education of our children is a partnership between the home and the school community.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.