Spring is a good time to share news about our beautiful parks in Fort Rouge –East Fort Garry.
There are a number of projects that have been planned for some time and others that are deep into the planning stages.
This spring/summer we expect to see enhancements in play equipment to the Churchill Drive playground.
Long awaited work at Elva Fletcher Way Park at Jubilee and Osborne will be finished this season.
The Crescent Drive Park canoe dock project is underway and expected to be ready for use this season.
Our pavilion at Crescent Drive Park has seen some unforeseen issues arise but we are resolving these and my expectation is to see this project underway in the near future.
I am excited to say that improvements are coming to McKittrick Park and the Fort Rouge Leisure Centre site. We have $200,000 in capital funds to invest and we hope to bring some exciting enhancements to these greenspaces.
Work proposed for McKittrick Park includes:
• New swing sets and engineered wood fibre safety surfacing, along with an accessible swing seat;
• Renewal of a section of asphalt path and creating a small tricycle/bike loop with some small amenities such as fueling station or electric car plug-in station signs;
• Removal of the old climbers located south of the wading pool and the installation of a new barbecue pit at that location; and
• New park benches.
Work proposed for the green space located at the Fort Rouge Leisure Centre site’s northeast corner includes:
• Removal of the lawn bowling and fencing and replacement with sod;
• Creating an opportunity to have a pleasure rink in the winter and summer turf games such as bocce ball; and
• Developing a small reading garden with new benches and trees.
A public open house was held on April 25 to hear feedback from the public on the McKittrick and Fort Rouge Leisure Centre Projects. There is also an online survey being carried out. You can find out more and view documents or give further feedback by emailing the city at: City-Engage@winnipeg.ca.
More info is posted at www.winnipeg.ca
Other projects in the ward include a new Skateboard Park at the Broadway Neighbourhood Centre in West Broadway. The community there is excited to add this new recreational amenity for the enjoyment of residents.
Now that spring is here, I hope you get the opportunity to get out and enjoy the beautiful greenspaces and parks our city has to offer.