I was honoured to be elected as the Member of Parliament for the riding of Winnipeg South this past October.
My team and I have been hard at work establishing a constituency office that can best serve the needs of our diverse community. We are located at 103-2800 Pembina Hwy., and are available Monday through Friday during regular business hours to assist you in any way we can.
We are dedicated to ensuring that the needs and concerns of Winnipeg South are heard in the House of Commons. I am looking forward to the challenges and opportunities ahead, both as your Member of Parliament, and in my role as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Families, Children and Social Development.
I am pleased to announce a few of the recent federal funding developments in the riding of Winnipeg South:
• The École Noël-Ritchot has received $1.99 million for a new childcare centre;
• The Celebrate Canada Program has awarded $18,650 to eight community organizations to put towards celebrations of Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day, Canadian Multiculturalism Day and Canada Day;
• $1.2 million has been awarded to Translating Emergency Knowledge for Kids (TREKK), a University of Manitoba-based program focused on sharing knowledge and experience among general emergency departments, children’s hospitals, and academic institutions to ensure that the latest knowledge about pediatric emergency care is put into common practice;
• Three organizations for seniors within the community recently received over $58,000 through the New Horizons for Seniors Program, whose mandate is to enhance the quality of life and to promote the full participation of individuals in all aspects of Canadian society;
• Dr. Vernon Dolinsky at the University of Manitoba has received $2 million towards ongoing research into childhood obesity.
In addition to the above, many neighbourhood businesses have recently received their grants from Service Canada for the Canada Summer Jobs Program positions. Winnipeg South was the recipient of 247 approved student positions, as well as over $770,000 in funding, a figure nearly double that of previous years. Congratulations to all who were approved.
In an effort to continue the conversations that guide and inform our community, I’m pleased to announce that my office will be hosting an open house on June 4, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Please stop by and share your thoughts, opinions and ideas with us. Your input will be instrumental as Winnipeg South continues to grow and thrive in the months and years ahead.