Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Catchy jingles can be hard to forget

• Print

Have you ever wondered why you instinctively buy certain products or go to certain places to do business? Catchy slogans sometimes dictate or at least influence our shopping tendencies.

For example, when purchasing breakfast cereals I notice a box of Rice Krispies and think about "snap, crackle & pop" when milk is added. How about a box of Frosted Flakes? They’re GRRRRRRREAT!

As I walk up and down each aisle I see various items, but the ones that really catch my eye are the ones I have been conditioned to seek out through creative advertising. Here’s a few examples:

• Mmm mmm good, mmm mmm good; That’s what Campbell’s Soup is mmm mmm good.

• Oh Henry!… Oh Henry!… You’re always in demand,
Oh Henry! …Oh Henry!… King of Candy Land.

• Brylcreem, a little dab ‘ill do ya,
Brylcreem, a little dab ‘ill do.
Brylcreem, the girls will pursue yaaaaaa………………..
Simply rub a little in your hair.

• The best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup.

• I am stuck on Band Aids and Band Aids are stuck on me.

• Oh I’d love to be an Oscar Mayer weiner. That’s what I only wanna be;
‘cause if I were an Oscar Mayer weiner, everyone ‘d be in love with me.

There are company slogans I can write down without naming the company’s name and I’m sure you can identify these companies.

Here, give it a try:

• "Don’t leave home without it."   

• "Where’s the beef?"

• "Takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin.’ "   

• "Finger lickin’ good."     

• "Let your fingers do the walking."  

• "Nothing runs like a Deere."     

• "How do you spell relief?"   

• "Melts in your mouth, not in your hands."

And so it goes, day in and day out. You may think these jingles and slogans aren’t effective, but they have proven themselves to work over the years. Not only do they inspire us to use some of these products, but they are very catchy tunes in some cases.

The morning before I wrote this column I woke up humming the Brylcreem song. I wish I had enough hair to make a purchase worthwhile!

Rick Sparling is a Winnipeg-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in the Headliner area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Fall Arts Guide

We preview what’s new and what’s coming up in Winnipeg’s new arts season

View our Fall Arts Guide

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

We’re experiencing a warm fall so far. Are you enjoying the higher temperatures?

View Results