Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Daily congestion should be eliminated

• Print

When we were in Russia, travelling from Beloretschinsk to Rodnicki and our co-op farm where we were teaching, my husband saw a sight so unique, it has stayed in our memory the past 19 years.

He was travelling down the road when a car, a Lada, passed him. The driver was alone, except for his goat which was standing in the back of the car! We concluded that the driver must have removed the back seats, so there would be room to transport the goat. He was being taken to the country to graze for an hour, and then was driven back to the little front yard where he spent most of the day, with the exception of milking time.

What a system! This goat supplied milk, cheese and butter, I suppose, for the whole family! Now, in Canada, that back seat is very rarely removed, and it seems it’s also rarely used. In a 15-minute period while I wait for a bus that I missed, about 144 cars drive by with only one person in them, regardless of the size of the car. SUV, truck, VW (rare), or regular van, there is most often only one seat used.

There might have been 20 cars with two people in them in that collection of 144 cars every 15 minutes, but that 20 out of l44 is quite a rarity.  

Not everyone would feel the need to transport a goat to pasture, but other uses could be found for all that wasted space. Only in an automobile do we insist on that much room for ourselves: restaurants, sidewalks, busses, churches, elevators — we’re content with space that fits our bodies. Why is so much wasted space in automobiles?

I’m also not pleased with the lack of courtesy that so many drivers display. No pedestrian walks directly in front of another, thus effectively cutting him off, as the saying goes. A cyclist usually does not try to be first at the traffic light.  

As to the question of why I don’t get a license to drive, I resist the urge to respond, "I really don’t want to join the host of bad drivers that I encounter daily" (when I travel with my husband in a car).

Anyway, why would a 120-pound woman need 2,000 pounds of steel to transport herself two blocks to buy $20 worth of groceries? Not everyone will agree with me that we need more car-pooling to eliminate daily congestion on our roads. But give it some thought.

Bertha Klassen is a Winnipeg-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Sou’wester area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Fall Arts Guide

We preview what’s new and what’s coming up in Winnipeg’s new arts season

View our Fall Arts Guide

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Do you intend to visit the CMHR once it’s fully operational?

View Results