Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Dealing with misfortune a sad part of life

• Print

On a warm evening last July I decided, as is my wont, to have a coffee at one of the many outdoor cafes on Corydon Avenue.

After getting my order I picked up a newspaper and went outside to enjoy my coffee and paper at one of the unoccupied tables. I had barely sat down when a gentleman in his mid-50s sitting at the next table with a suitcase at his feet said, "There’s lots of room here." As I’ve been spending too much time by myself and go for coffee to interact with people I decided to join him.

It was obvious he wanted to talk to someone. After introducing ourselves he mentioned that he grew up in this neighbourhood. He pointed to a side street across from Corydon and told me that hidden behind some tall trees was the house where he grew up. In his day the trees were mere shrubs. He mentioned that in those days he knew almost everyone in the neighbourhood and now there’s not one familiar face still around.

During our conversation I found out that he had moved to Toronto some 30 years ago and was in Winnipeg visiting. I also found out that though he has relatives in Winnipeg there was some problem preventing him from spending time with them. He also mentioned that he was out of work and due to a medical problem would need surgery.  

I didn’t want to be nosy but he appeared to be a decent guy and I wondered what had happened to bring him to this state in life. He was well-spoken and seemed to know what was going on. He was either separated or divorced and had not seen his children for years. He couldn’t look for work until he had his medical problem addressed, but was vague as to what he was doing about it.

After another coffee and talking in generalities for awhile I decided to call it a night. Knowing the approximate route I would have to take to drive across Winnipeg to get home he asked me if he could get a lift. I agreed and asked him to let me know where he wanted to be dropped off. When we got downtown he asked to be let off near Princess Street and Henry Avenue. As there are no residential houses in that area he must have been staying or intended to stay at the nearby Salvation Army hostel. I wasn’t about to ask and was reluctant to look to see where he went with his suitcase. On my way home I realized I should given him my phone number in case he wanted to continue our conversation.

Having some experience revisiting places I was once a part of I can appreciate some of what he may have been going through. It’s as though you never existed, no one you knew is left and many of the old landmarks are gone.

It was a painful experience for me and probably more so for him. I had to restrain myself from crying out for a time of innocence and a way of life that no longer exists.  

As one who has made many bad choices in life, and fortunately being only mildly scarred, it saddens me to see decent people have to deal with so much misfortune.  

Ron Buffie is a Winnipeg-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Sou’wester area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

If the NHL expands into Las Vegas, will you go to see the Jets there?

View Results