Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Making Tony’s Master of Pizza a family tradition

• Print

Just over six months ago, my husband and I found out that we were expecting a bundle of joy (and smelly diapers) at the beginning of April 2013.

Not having any parenting experience, yet having oodles of experience judging other parents’ parenting skills, we have since been preparing ourselves to raise our child perfectly and never make any of the mistakes that all parents make.  

I’m sensing some eye-rolls and raised eyebrows…  but what do you expect from a hormonal, nearly eight-months pregnant woman who has no idea what she’s getting into?

One of the things I want to give my child is the gift of good memories brought on by tradition. Throughout elementary and junior high school, I absolutely loved going for sleepovers at my friend Crystal’s on Friday nights. Every Friday was pizza night at Crystal’s house, and they would either buy a couple pizzas from the bakery in St. Pierre-Jolys or they would make homemade.

It doesn’t seem like much, but I find that it’s the little things that make the most cherished memories.

That being said, my husband and I have been on a quest to find the perfect pizza to start our weekly Friday pizza night tradition.

Since the beginning of January there has been talk of who makes the best pizza in Winnipeg. Tony’s Pizza came up several times and after reading numerous positive reviews about Fort Garry’s own Tony’s Master of Pizza, we gave them a try. A couple of Friday nights ago, we ordered the Mexican and carnivore pizzas. Wow. Two slices and I was stuffed!

The pizza is delicious but what really caught my attention about this business was how well we were treated — so well that I called to let them know just how much we appreciated having their business in our community.

This year marks Tony’s 50th in business. That’s half a century of providing good-quality food and service to our community and beyond. A year and a half ago, ownership changed and Lonny took possession of the business. He is very proud to say that his staff members have been around for over 10 years and he is just as proud to say that he knows his recurring customers by name. Lonny has seen the business flourish from a simple, late-night delivery shop to, as he calls it, a "family feed", whereby families have made it their Friday night tradition to order Tony’s Pizza.  

Children grow up remembering things like pizza night. It may not be a significant event that will mark their lives, but it will definitely be a memory they will cherish forever.

Jennifer Maczuga is a community correspondent for Fort Garry. You can contact her at kernb@mymts.net.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.