Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Proper management takes hassle out of apartment life

• Print

Osborne Village has been chosen the best neighbourhood in Canada and, before Vancouver and Toronto went condo-crazy, the Village had the highest density population in the country. That means a lot of apartment blocks and people like me, who prefer to rent instead of own.

Renting removes a lot of the responsibilities of home ownership, particularly maintenance and repair costs. One monthly payment covers it all and your time and effort isn’t spent shovelling snow, cutting grass and trying to fix a toilet. And there are no big surprises, like the huge financial outlays when a furnace or air conditioning breaks down.

Of course, this also puts renter sat the mercy of the landlord or property management company but most of them are pretty good. There are laws which must be complied with, so basic services such as heat and water must constantly be provided and apartments should be well-maintained and clean.  But there can be disputes between tenants and landlords if maintenance and cleaning is shoddy or it takes too long to make necessary repairs.

Life is so much better for renters when they live in apartments that are managed professionally. Most important are the onsite staff who clean the hallways, fix plumbing and appliances when they break down and deal with tenants day-to-day, face to face.

All too often we only come into contact with onsite staff when we have a complaint or need something done. If services are being provided in an efficient and friendly manner, that should be acknowledged as well.

I happen to be one of those fortunate tenants. The management company I deal with has placed people in our building who go out of their way to make living here easier and more pleasant.

More than making sure that basic maintenance and cleaning is routine, staff here are always co-operative and friendly. If I have a concern, they take care of it right away or provide a good reason why or why not. And it’s just so nice to keep running into them as they hop in and out of elevators with their cleaning or repair equipment. They always seem to find the time to make sure you get to your floor and offer friendly chatter, even if it usually about the weather (I bet our maintenance guy has the same conversation about wind chill with 30 different tenants every day).

As I said, sometimes it just needs to be said. I imagine that, property management and maintenance can sometimes be frustrating, and that requests and complaints never seem to end.  

I don’t want to create undue fuss about these unsung heroes.

I’ll just say that I live in one of the tallest apartments in the Village (with 152 tenants to care for), the building is "always jade" and the address is on the high side of lucky on a pair of die.
Thanks and keep up the good work.

Don Marks is a community correspondent for Osborne Village. You can reach him at marksonthings@gmail.com

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

What do you think of the new Blue Bombers uniforms?

View Results

View Related Story