The Winnipeg Police Service is reminding residents to play it safe when locking up their bikes.
They suggest the following tips:
• Use a good chain and lock to secure your bike to a pole, tree or fence.
• At home, lock your bike even if it is stored in a garage or shed.
• Never park your bike, even for a few minutes, without chaining and locking it. That’s all the opportunity a thief needs.
• Record the serial number of your bike or engrave an identifiable mark somewhere on the frame.
• When securing your bike with a chain lock, make sure it goes through the back wheel and frame, then around a secure post.