Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 8/7/2014 (1024 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Now that the long days of summer are here, it’s time to check-out some free, fun activities in our district.
Most of these programs are sponsored by or take place at our area community centres and schools:
• At Maples Community Centre, 434 Adsum Dr., you can enjoy tennis and basketball on their terrific new outdoor courts, 6 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. In addition, open gym time is available for drop-in sports activities, 9 a.m. - 9 p.m., seven days a week (except on a few special events dates). Info: 204-953-1190.
• Elwick/Maples Recreation Centre, 40 Maberley Rd.(next to Elwick School).Fun children cricket, basketball and bike repairs/exchange programs — all free, now to Sept. 5, Mon. ,Wed., Fri, 10 a.m - 3 p,m. Info: 204-779-6101.
• Tennis anyone? Check-out the new and improved Garden City Collegiate tennis courts and outdoor basketball pad at 711 Jefferson Ave. All welcome. Play up to 10 p.m. under the lights.
• Children BEEP ( Balance Experience Education Program) at Elwick, Margaret Park, Governor Semple and Constable Finney schools. This is a free daily breakfast program, featuring weekly outings and an exciting learning activities program. Now to August 15th. 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Info: 204-479-0803.
• MYAC (Maples Youth Activity Centre) at Arthur E. Wright School. Drop-in program featuring volleyball, bhangra dancing and more. July and August. For youth ages 9 -17, Mondays 2 - 9 p.m., Tuesdays, 1 - 9 p.m. For ages 6 - 9, Tuesdays 1 - 4 p.m. Info: 204-471-6922
• KAYC (Kildonan Youth Activity Centre), at Ecole Seven Oaks and Edmund Partridge schools. Enjoy open gym, arts & crafts, daily field trips (small fee for trips), movies and more. For youth ages 8 - 17. Now to Aug. 14, Mon to Fri., 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Info: 204-470-9460.
• The Aboriginal Sport Achievement Centre kids’ day camp at Old Exhibition Grounds, 80 Sinclair St. and Dufferin Ave. and at several Seven Oaks area schools. Ages 7 - 12. Free lunch and transportation. Info: 204-986-6785.
• Pickleball is a new, fun sport especially popular with adults. Every Friday, 80 Sinclair St. from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. Info: 204-589-2339.
• For the best summer fun for children of all ages there are spray pads at Shaughnessy Park, 74 Tyndall Ave. and at West Kildonan C.C., 346 Perth Ave. Open seven days a week from 10 a.m - 9 p.m., June - Sept. 1.
Derek Dabee is a community correspondent for The Maples. You can contact him at email@example.com