Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Crucial to teach kids about democracy

• Print

Despite the sometimes frigid weather, February is one of my favourite months to be an MLA. This is because all across Canada, in most schools, it is I Love to Read Month.

Reading is such an important skill for children to learn. As one of my favourite pastimes, I look forward to this part of the year because I get to share my love of reading with local students. To help schools in my constituency celebrate, I go to each of them and get the chance to talk to students and show them why I love to read!  

Every February, I go to each elementary school in our constituency and read to a few of the classes. This year, I am reading The Day the Crayons Quit and What Does the Fox Say?

I’ve already visited two of the elementary schools in Kildonan and am scheduled to go to the other four later in the month. While I don’t read aloud to junior high or high school students, we always donate books to add to their libraries.  

When I get the opportunity to talk to children in our area, I always like to talk about democracy and what it means to Canadians. I explain what democracy is and why we are so lucky to live in a country where we get the opportunity to experience it.  For fun I also do a "mock parliament" session where I facilitate debate on whether or not we should lower the driving age to 10. Then we do a vote, and thankfully the kids usually vote against it. I believe exercises like these are crucial because they expose our children to the importance of voting, and explain that the decisions the government makes ultimately affect their lives as well as all Manitobans.

I always end my time at the schools by telling students that when I was in Grade 4, I visited the Manitoba Legislative Building and thought "Wow, what a great place to work someday."

With that goal in mind, I worked hard and I achieved my dream. I tell them that if they set goals and work towards them, read as much as they can, listen to their parents and teachers, and be nice to everyone, they can do anything they put their minds to.

For more information about I Love to Read Month, feel free to contact my office at 204-334-5060, or send me an email at Dave.Chomiak@YourManitoba.ca.  

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Fall Arts Guide

We preview what’s new and what’s coming up in Winnipeg’s new arts season

View our Fall Arts Guide

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Do you think Canada Post should be responsible for clearing snow away from its community mailboxes?

View Results