Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/2/2014 (957 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Vince Leah Recreation Centre is a place for young and old alike to partake in a number of recreational and sport activities.
My own experience a number of years ago, in the community centre and on this lot, was always good.
Vince Leah Recreation Centre (VLRC) has many dedicated volunteers who ensure recreation and sport happen for kids and seniors in the community. It also has activities for those outside the catchment area. The map of the catchment area shows the boundaries of the Red River in the east, the CP Rail Winnipeg Beach tracks in the west, Semple Avenue in the south, and Chief Peguis Trail in the north.
Unfortunately for many kids, there aren’t many learn-to-skate offerings in northwest Winnipeg. I just found out Seven Oaks School Division runs a learn-to-skate program for schoolchildren.
To find out more, call Sandee Deck at 204-223-3499. Here are the activities at VLRC:
• T.K. Martial Arts - Korean "Special Forces" Training — ages seven and up, Mondays and Wednesdays from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Call 204-223-1348 for more information
• Master Seung’s Black Tigers Tae Kwon Do — Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:15 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. Call 204-881-1398 or visit teamhwarangtaekwondo.ca
• Vince Leah Karate Classes — ages seven and up. Tuesdays and Thursdays from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Call Brent at 204-230-9008 or the TKA at 204-897-2900 or http://vlkarateclub.wix.com/vlkc
• Self Defence Classes (Based on Russian Martial Art) — ages 16 and up, Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:45 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
• Seniors Cards (first and third Wednesday — Crib) (second and fourth Wednesday — Whist) Wednesdays from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
• Outdoor hockey rinks open every evening Monday to Friday from 5:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., and Saturday/Sunday from 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.), weather permitting.
• First Kicks Mini Soccer Program registration — open boundaries — ages three to eight, weather permitting, starts first week of May until end of June — Fun-filled Jamboree day scheduled in June.
• Youth Soccer (ages nine to 17) registration — must be within Vince Leah catchment to register.
• Baseball registration ages four and up — must be within Vince Leah catchment to register. Starts first of May until mid-July, weather permitting
• Lawn Bowling — Open to all ages, beginners to experts. Mondays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Cost is approximately $24 for the year. Season runs from mid-May until end of September, weather permitting.
• Zumba classes scheduled to start in March, being held Mondays and Thursdays (5:45 pm to 6:45 pm) and Saturdays (11 a.m. to noon).
For information on any of these programs call 204-338-0046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A youth drop-in program was cancelled at VLRC some years ago when an excellent after-school and summer drop-in program was established by the Seven Oaks School Division through the Kildonan Youth Activity Centre program (KYAC). KYAC operates out of the following schools that serve the VLRC catchment area: Governor Semple School, Edmund Partridge Community School and École Seven Oaks Middle School. For information on these activities call Chelsea at 204-470-9460 or go to http://www.7oaks.org/programs/kyac.