Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Gen X-ers reach the halfway point

• Print

This is the year I reach the halfway point of my life’s journey. How do I know it’s the halfway point? Because I am fully determined to live to be 100 years old.

My children so far seem to be in agreement with this lofty goal, but of course, they don’t have to take care of me, yet. My plan is to take care of myself into a healthy and vigorous old age. Exercise and good food are part of my life, because I care about me.

A remarkable number of my friends and acquaintances seem to be hitting the half-century mark this year.

I didn’t grow up here, so I don’t have any old schoolmates with whom to reminisce; but my contemporaries and I seem to gravitate to each other. Being a member, or nearly a member, of the half-century club seems to have its own aura. Many of us look younger than our age, but we know better.

Some of us, having spent our 20s in education or dissipation, still have school-aged children. Others got that baby business out of the way early and are now enjoying the empty nest and even grandchildren.

But all of us have one thing in common — we are halfway, and there is no time for regrets and recrimination. Now is the time to grasp our dreams. We are still young enough to follow them, as we wait to take over the world.

It is debatable whether those of us who were born in 1962 count as baby boomers or Gen X. While some consider the end of the baby boom to have been 1965 or so, there is no question in my mind that our life experience has been that of Gen X — the children of the oldest boomers, those who are now over 65. We grew up in the shadow of the baby boomers, in schools built for that huge bulge, looking for jobs in their wake. We are the next level of senior people as they start to retire, if they can afford to. If they don’t retire, we are the ones who are waiting. Our time is coming.

We are tech savvy. We were young adults when the Internet first started to change everything. We programmed the VCR for our parents, but we don’t need our teenagers to program things for us. All of our lives, we have adapted, rather than changing the world to suit ourselves, as the boomers did. We are flexible and open to new things, because we have had to adapt to a new world. We drive fuel-efficient cars, compost and recycle, because we will soon be in charge of that new world.

Happy birthday to all the 1962 babies out there. The world is our oyster — let’s go for it.

Hadass Eviatar is a West Kildonan-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Times area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

How many Fringe shows have you attended or plan to attend this year?

View Results