Canstar Community News - ONLINE EDITION

Winter provides plenty to be thankful for

• Print

As we head into the coldest and darkest time of the year, I find myself in a winter state of mind.

After a hectic spring, summer and fall, the gardens and the yard have been put to rest. The garage has been cleared, and the snow shovel and window scraper have been placed into the trunk of the car. As the first snowflakes of the season fall, I think about the months ahead. Like many of the animals, I begin to slow down. I begin to appreciate this season of hibernation.

Unconsciously, like my ancestors of long ago, I prepare for the approaching cold. I am back in the kitchen, cooking soup and baking. I change the bedding, pulling out flannel sheets and heavy duvets. Winter boots and jackets are retrieved from storage. I await the cold temperatures, and prepare to survive the season.

Like everyone who lives in Winnipeg, each winter I, "am possessed of the fearful knowledge my compatriots share but almost never utter: this is a country where a man can die simply from being outside." That line is from Canadian January by poet Alden Nowlan. Every winter I ask myself why I remain in this frozen world.

And then, the perfect winter morning dawns. Is there anything more beautiful? The sky is shockingly blue and the sun reflects brilliantly on a sparkling, silent, white world.

On such a morning, I remember that the winter season does invite certain creature comforts. When the wind howls and the snow whips against the window panes, I take comfort, wrapping a blanket around me and losing myself in a good book. Frigid winter nights cry out for hot chocolate or mulled wine, fireplaces, and candles. Steaming baths, cozy sweaters, fleece tops, and knitted scarves are luxuries of the season. Indoors, sheltered from the storm, comfort reigns supreme.

Time spent indoors can promote creativity. Perhaps our long, cold winters nurture this creative spirit. Many famous writers, actors, artists, and musicians call Winnipeg home. There is something about the whitewashed prairie landscape that invites the imagination to soar and discover new worlds. In Winnipeg, we are blessed with a rich variety of cultural events including the symphony, ballet and theatre. Other cities envy our world class entertainment.

This winter, before you begin to curse the weather, remember that people in Florida cannot share these simple pleasures, and instead are still coming to grips with the results of hurricane season. Somehow, Christmas lights and palm trees just don’t go together.

Out east, people are battling the aftermath of a tropical storm and nor’easter. Even the folks out west are worrying about earthquakes. So, as the shortest day of the year draws near, slow down, pour another cup of tea, light the candles, cuddle closely with a loved one, and appreciate this season of hibernation. Come spring, like the animals, we will awaken to a different, more demanding season. For now, sit back, relax, and be thankful that you live in Winnipeg.

Joanne O’Leary is a Riverbend-based writer.

Neighbourhood Forum is a readers’ column. If you live in The Times area and would like to contribute to this column, contact jim.timlick@canstarnews.com.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

• Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

• Please indicate your source for the correct information.

• Yes

No

• This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

• Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

Fall Arts Guide

We preview what’s new and what’s coming up in Winnipeg’s new arts season

View our Fall Arts Guide

Readers' Choice Awards

Best Of Winnipeg Readers Survey

See the results of the 2014 Canstar Community News Best of Winnipeg Readers' Survey.

View Results

This Just In Twitter bird

Poll

Do you think Canada Post should be responsible for clearing snow away from its community mailboxes?

View Results