Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Hoop and Holler dike to remain closed
People living southeast of the Hoop and Holler Bend of the Assiniboine River can breathe another sigh of relief: The breach that was closed last Friday will stay shut.
Emergency Measures Minister Steve Ashton told the legislature this afternoon that lower Assiniboine River levels at Portage la Prairie mean the outlet will not need to be reopened.
The province announced a compensation program for those suffering losses due to the breach and others on Tuesday.
- Hutterite colony prepares for looming flood
- Flood threatens 570 homes in Portage la Prairie area: reeve
- Ranchers hauling cattle to drier ground
- Ice jams on Assiniboine force water over dikes
- Ice jams no longer a threat
- Brandon steels for Assiniboine's swell
- Assiniboine at 2nd-highest recorded level
- Soldiers at work on flood-mitigation efforts along Assiniboine
- First a tornado, now this...
- Tales from the battlefront