May 22, 2015


Winnipeg - DO NOT TARGET HERE

Ice jam breaks west of Winnipeg; rivers expected to rise in city

WINNIPEG - The Red and Assiniboine rivers in Winnipeg are expected to rise as much as 1.5 feet over the next 24 hours because an ice jam near Holland, Man. has broken up.

But the increase - which will could see the Red rise as high as 20.5 feet above normal winter ice levels at James Avenue - won't affect any additional city properties, flood-protection engineer Grant Mohr said this afternoon.

The flooding Red River laps against houses Tuesday on Woodcrest Drive in Fargo, N.D. Interstate 29 has been closed north of the city because of flooding.

MICHAEL VOSBURG / THE FORUM

The flooding Red River laps against houses Tuesday on Woodcrest Drive in Fargo, N.D. Interstate 29 has been closed north of the city because of flooding.

As of 4 p.m., the Red sat at 19 feet James.

The province expects it to crest in Winnipeg late in April at somewhere between 20.2 feet James and 22.8 feet James.

Right now, all properties in the city are protected to 21.5 feet James, plus two feet of freeboard.

A total of 129 properties would need to be protected for 22.8 feet James, including 94 that do not yet have sandbag dikes.

The city will begin building those dikes over the Easter long weekend - but only if the forecast still calls for a crest above 22 feet James, Mohr said.

If the province changes its forecast next week and no longer expects a crest above 22 feet James, no more dikes will need to be built, Mohr said.

Properties with dikes in place, however, are being asked to leave them intact until the flood season is over.

It is illegal to boat on city rivers right now, as wakes can damage dikes.

History

Updated on Friday, April 15, 2011 at 4:54 PM CDT: Corrects typo.

5:21 PM: Corrects headline error.

5:48 PM: Adds link.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:51 pm

“You’ll pay for what you have done. When you get to the other side you’ll have to answer for it," Lavana Gentray told son's killer.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“You caused us great suffering and sorrow. Every day I feel the loss of my precious son,” victim's mother, Lavana Gentray, told court.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:50 pm

“Mr. Mustard lives on. He will have sunrises and sunsets. Tony’s are gone,” said victim's uncle, Michael James.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Family members of the 50-year-old victim, Anthony Sorokowski, presented emotional impact statements Friday describing their loss.

Mike McIntyre | @mikeoncrime

May 22 3:49 pm

Gerald Mustard, 43, was convicted earlier this month of manslaughter. He wants 3-4 years. Judge reserved decision to June 2.

Scroll down to load more

Top