With a record number of 172 options, this year's fringe-goers will have a harder time sorting the hits from the misses. To help with your fringe search, here are 10 shows that are on my list:
1. Body Language: Hometown heroes Hot Thespian Action, is the best sketch comedy troupe in the fest.
2. Minding Dad: Anything from Kenneth Brown (Spiral Drive trilogy) is worth a look-see.
3. Barker's Battle: Chronicles the life of Dauphin-born First World War flying ace Billy Barker, the most decorated serviceman in Canada's history.
4. Fresher, the Musical: The Winnipeg Studio Theatre's track record with musicals is something to sing about.
5. Medicine: TJ Dawe, one of the fringe circuit's biggest stars, returns with a new story.
6. Peter 'n Chris and the Mystery of the Hungry Heart Hotel: Don't overlook this guys if you're looking for laughs.
7. The Man Who Wasn't There: This is Marc A. Mohr's followup to the fringe favourite Padre X.
8. Illuminati 3: The End of the World: See composer Joseph Aragon before he hits it big in Toronto this fall.
9. RiderGirl: True Blue Bomber fans hope this one is a winner in a losing season so far.
10. Broken Wings: This comic love story represents the playwriting debut of Winnipeg actor Andrew Cecon.
-- Kevin Prokosh