Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Posted: 07/18/2012 1:00 AM | Comments: 0
With a record number of 172 options, this year's fringe-goers will have a harder time sorting the hits from the misses. To help with your fringe search, here are 10 shows that are on my list:
1. Body Language: Hometown heroes Hot Thespian Action, is the best sketch comedy troupe in the fest.
2. Minding Dad: Anything from Kenneth Brown (Spiral Drive trilogy) is worth a look-see.
3. Barker's Battle: Chronicles the life of Dauphin-born First World War flying ace Billy Barker, the most decorated serviceman in Canada's history.
4. Fresher, the Musical: The Winnipeg Studio Theatre's track record with musicals is something to sing about.
5. Medicine: TJ Dawe, one of the fringe circuit's biggest stars, returns with a new story.
6. Peter 'n Chris and the Mystery of the Hungry Heart Hotel: Don't overlook this guys if you're looking for laughs.
7. The Man Who Wasn't There: This is Marc A. Mohr's followup to the fringe favourite Padre X.
8. Illuminati 3: The End of the World: See composer Joseph Aragon before he hits it big in Toronto this fall.
9. RiderGirl: True Blue Bomber fans hope this one is a winner in a losing season so far.
10. Broken Wings: This comic love story represents the playwriting debut of Winnipeg actor Andrew Cecon.
-- Kevin Prokosh
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 18, 2012 C1
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
Fringe fest sets attendance record
Fringe Fest looks headed to record numbers
Live Fringe Fest performances and interviews at News Café all week
When in Rome...
Creative couple have marriage of the mind
Sometimes two bucks can change your life
Ties that bind
Fringe flap gets ugly
Fringe performer reports harassment in response to play's content
Putting on fringe shows requires much multi-tasking
Rendezvous with the Reaper
Fringe festival provides eye candy for theatre fans
The family that does plays together...
Sorry, God's gotta go