Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 19/4/2011 (2054 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
This return of the Jets thing is, if nothing else, a trip down memory lane. It’s fun, for those of us that were there regularly, like re-living the best moments of your life. A few questions about their return:
1) Will they still come out on the ice to Van Halen’s "Jump"?
Doubt it, though the song is still as awesome as it was in the 90’s, so it would still work.
2) Will everyone still yell "shoot" whenever a puck is passed back to the point?
Well, Freddie Ollason isn’t going to be on the team anymore, so probably not as much. In Freddie’s defence, he did score 20 goals as a D-man in ‘92 which is pretty good.
3) Will the backwards clapping hands still make a regular appearance on the Jumbotron?
Sadly, I doubt it. They were so weird, and so awesome at the same time. They were already behind their time when they debuted, and we loved them. Ditto the dancing hot dog.
4) Will they still be called the Jets?
I think at this point they have to be, but I’m told otherwise. The bottom line will be the fans, and the fans want the Jets name. Go Jets Go has been the most popular chant in this province every year since ‘96. I wouldn’t even worry about the "Winnipeg" thing either. I grew up in the country. I wasn’t offended that they weren’t the Manitoba Jets. Nor was anyone I know, and we all bought tickets regularly. The same went for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. We didn’t mind. In fact we never thought about it. Much like everyone I l know who is not from Brandon likes the Brandon Wheat Kings.
5) Will you still be able to hang around underneath the bowl after the game and wait for the players to exit the dressing room and get an autograph?
Probably not. The pro game has changed. I think those days, however awesome they were, are over.
6) Will a new generation find girls in Jets jerseys as hot as we did in the 90’s?
Tough call. Trends are just that, trends. I hope for their sake it still works though, as it was the greatest thing ever. Note*** This did not include girls in Tkachuk jerseys. While still hot, for some reason you knew you didn’t have a shot with them.
7) Will we still have players like Shawn Cronin, Mike Eagles, Ian Duncan, Mike Hartman, Jim Kyte... etc, and will we still love them for who they are?
I don’t know how it is these days. I doubt the above names have any idea how famous they still are here. I loved those kind of guys, and we had plenty of them.
8) Will Curt Keilback be the radio voice of the Jets?
No idea. I don’t know who will get the radio rights and if they want Curt or not... but man he was awesome. "Ess-en-sa the save!" and "The Wraaap Around!" being two of the greatest calls in Winnipeg radio history.
9) Will we detest other teams again?
Listen, much has changed since ‘96. There are Oiler fans everywhere. Kids wear Flames hats and jerseys to school everyday. Apparently Vancouver is popular these days, which I still find weird. Will it instantly be US vs. THEM... THEM being every other team except the twice yearly visits from the Habs or the Leafs, when the crowd was split 50/50? This is a tricky one. Kids have grown up with Sidney and Alex as their favourite players, not Hawerchuk, Selanne or Hull. That said, the first player I ever loved was Guy Lafleur... who was soon replaced by Doug Smail and a lifelong devotion to the Jets.