Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
AVCO Cup finds a home
The AVCO Cup has finally found a home.
After bouncing around from closet to closet for the last several years, the crown jewel of the World Hockey Association has landed a starring role in the brand new Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame, located in the Sport Manitoba building in the Exchange district.
The cup is now greeting museum-goers in the 1970s exhibit, along with other WHA-era Winnipeg Jets memorabilia.
The Free Press recently got a close up look at the AVCO cup in its new home.
No glove, no (AVCO Cup) love.
Unless you’re a buffoon and touch it with your greasy hands anyway.
There’s a reason why officials at the new Sport Manitoba Hall of Fame decided to put their artifacts – many of them priceless – behind glass. You can inadvertently cause damage just by touching them, according to Andrea Reichert, collections manager.
And if you are lucky enough to handle something, for God's sake, make sure you're wearing protective gloves.
"Even when you have clean hands you still have oil on your hands and you still leave fingerprints," she said. "Particularly on metal, if you leave a fingerprint the only way to get it off is to polish it and when you polish metal, you take a little bit of the metal off. Eventually you get through the plating."
"It’s one of those things you do in a museum, you generally don’t touch things with your bare hands."
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)10/23/2014 11:14 PM 0
CALGARY - A moment of silence was observed before the Calgary Flames hosted the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday to commemorate ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Games should remind us of what Canada is all about
- Bombers unveil statue of legendary coach Bud Grant
- Jets in a better mood after breaking losing streak with Tuesday's win
- Blue consider plan to rush import Wilson into lineup
- Blue delighted with state of Denmark
- Following the leaders
- Who has been the biggest disappointment on the Jets to start the season?
- Bombers offensive line uncertain heading into must-win game against B.C.
- Step in right direction
- Freestyle up, skeleton way down in Own the Podium money this winter
- Jets boss Maurice mad enough to start cussing
- Paul Maurice is frustrated after Jets' four-game losing streak
- Tiny consolation for Blue, fans
- Crash landing for Jets at home
- Jets apply tourniquet
- Jets can't stand success
- Jets go down against Flames, 4-1
- Jets make roster changes for Hurricanes game to turn around recent nosedive
- Wakey-wakey, sleeping Jets
- Running back Grigsby signs with Hamilton shortly after his release by Bombers
Ads by Google