Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
City's UFC card takes hit
THE main event on Winnipeg's UFC 161 card next month may have suffered a serious blow.
Brazilian MMA website Tatame reported this weekend that the June 15 card at the MTS Centre may be forced to change its main event after interim bantamweight champion Renan Barao suffered a foot injury and may not be healed in time to defend his title against Eddie Wineland.
The UFC has not confirmed the story, although a UFC official told MMAjunkie.com that Barao (30-1) would "probably" be unavailable for the event. UFC Canada communications manager Caroyln Blakely replied to an email from the Free Press on Monday:
"We've seen the reports, but we do not have an official update at this time. We will share any card information whenever it comes available."
Barao was apparently scheduled to undergo a medical exam Monday to determine his availability for the bout, and until that becomes official, it's uncertain what the UFC may do for its main event.
The UFC 161 card is already a strong one, as it includes two big light-heavyweight bouts in Mauricio Shogun Rua vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and Rashad Evans facing Dan Henderson. Either one of those bouts may be moved up to act as the main event.
Barao has served as the interim bantamweight champion, with Dominick Cruz recovering from knee surgery. His bout with Wineland was to be his second title defence.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 16 articles for today)2:12 PM 0
WINNIPEG - Bud Grant, a coaching legend in both the CFL and NFL, was honoured Thursday with a bronze statue ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Blue consider plan to rush import Wilson into lineup
- Bombers offensive line uncertain heading into must-win game against B.C.
- Slava Voynov's attorney says Kings defenceman didn't hit girlfriend, police misunderstood her
- We’ll stand for freedom and for one another
- Following the leaders
- Blue delighted with state of Denmark
- Step in right direction
- Jets apply tourniquet
- Who has been the biggest disappointment on the Jets to start the season?
- Bombers unveil statue of legendary coach Bud Grant
- Jets boss Maurice mad enough to start cussing
- Paul Maurice is frustrated after Jets' four-game losing streak
- Tiny consolation for Blue, fans
- Crash landing for Jets at home
- Jets apply tourniquet
- Jets can't stand success
- Jets go down against Flames, 4-1
- Jets make roster changes for Hurricanes game to turn around recent nosedive
- Wakey-wakey, sleeping Jets
- Running back Grigsby signs with Hamilton shortly after his release by Bombers
Ads by Google