Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Team Central nabs basketball bronze
Swan River- Team central defeated Team Western by a score of 80-66 in Under-16 male basketball action Saturday morning to claim the bronze medal at the 2012 Manitoba Summer Games.
Joey McNabb and Michael Lavallee led Team central with 16 points while three other players hit double-digits. Dylan Peters ended the game with 11 and Mason Metcalf and Kegan Hopper chipped in for 10.
The game was won in the second half as Team Central entered the third quarter up seven points only to extend their lead by as many as 16 points in the third frame.
Team Westman would attempt a comeback, coming within nine points, but Team Central would prove to be the bigger and faster team.
"We've played this team twice before, beating them once so we had a feeling we'd be playing them for third," said Central coach Darin Arnold after the game. "We knew it was going to be a close game so I just wanted our guys to put the team game together and play as a cohesive unit and we ended up doing that."
After finishing with a 2-1 record in round-robin play and out of a bid for gold, Arnold was happy to see his boys grab bronze.
"I don't think I could be much prouder of them. We had a big come from behind win from Team Norman (Friday) and they just seemed to step their game up when they had to."
The gold medal game is scheduled for 10 a.m. Saturday and will feature the two city teams, Winnipeg Gold vs. Winnipeg Blue.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 10 articles for today)1:04 PM 0
TORONTO - Growing up with hockey in his blood, Kyle Dubas learned an important lesson from his grandfather.
"Never let the ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Blue Bombers prepare lineup for Friday match against BC Lions
- Bombers don't seem in much of a rush
- Blue Bombers name press box in honour of two prominent sports journalists
- After LeBron went home, Stamkos understands but ignores Leafs speculation
- At the door to a dream
- No Moore Mr. Nice Guy
- Seattle Seahawks WR Sidney Rice surprisingly announces retirement before start of camp
- When it comes to Bombers' defence... Moe knows
- Jets sign Chiarot to new two-way contract
- From pipers to Loch Ness Monster, Scottishness celebrated at Commonwealth Games
- Very rough night for Blue
- Hat trick of signings for Jets
- Moore than a feeling
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- At the door to a dream
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- Jets sign forwards Eric O'Dell, Patrice Cormier and John Albert
- O-line a disaster area
- Evander Kane fuels trade rumours
- Jets ink former Ducks' centre Perreault
- Jets draft excitement
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
Ads by Google