Winnipeg Free Press - ONLINE EDITION
Track champion, coach Dave Lyon dies
Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame member Dave Lyon, a Winnipeg native prominent in track and field nationally and internationally, has passed away.
As a coach, club executive and organizer, Lyon was involved in both Winnipeg versions of the Pan Am Games in 1967 and 1999, as well as with Canada’s national team at the Olympic Games in Los Angeles (1984), Seoul (1988), Barcelona (1992) and Sydney (2000)
The career high-school teacher emphasized the blending of academic and athletics, including helping to organize and manage the provincial high school championships for many years.
Lyon also worked as a volunteer in many capacities with Athletics Manitoba as a board member and director of athletics.
Lyon’s own track career included time at Oklahoma Baptist University as a two-mile champion. He placed fourth in the U.S. nationals in 1961 and took up his other interests in the sport after a career-ending injury.
In 1981, Lyon was recognized as the volunteer of the decade and was inducted into the province’s Sports Hall of Fame in 1991.
A memorial service honouring Lyon will be announced soon.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)07/23/2014 11:54 PM 0
VANCOUVER - Vancouver Whitecaps captain Jay DeMerit will announce his retirement Thursday, The Canadian Press has confirmed.
A person with knowledge ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Very rough night for Blue
- Hat trick of signings for Jets
- Bombers, Esks: press reset and presto...
- Blue feeling like bongo drums
- Moore than a feeling
- Bombers dissect Thursday's drubbing by Eskimos
- Whipping exposes abundant flaws
- Blue review gaffe-filled game
- O-line a disaster area
- Jets sign forwards Eric O'Dell, Patrice Cormier and John Albert
- Evander Kane fuels trade rumours
- Jets ink former Ducks' centre Perreault
- Jets draft excitement
- Bombers trade for QB Portis
- Feoli-Gudino gets it done
- Banks asks to be released from Bombers
- Bombers linebacker Korey Banks suspended
- Bombers gut out a comeback
- Bomber ticket sales shoot up after win over Argos
- Amazing 3-0 start for Blue
Ads by Google