The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
A's minor league OF Herschel Powell suspended 50 games for positive amphetamine test
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Herschel "Boog" Powell, a Midwest League All-Star outfielder in the Oakland Athletics' system, has been suspended for 50 games following a positive test for a banned amphetamine under baseball's minor league drug program.
The commissioner's office announced the penalty Monday.
The 21-year-old Powell was taken by Oakland in the 20th round of the 2012 amateur draft from Orange Coast Junior College in California. He is not related to former big leaguer Boog Powell.
Herschel Powell hit .355 with three homers and 17 RBIs for Beloit of the Class A Midwest League this season and was given the Star of Stars award at the All-Star game last month when he had a two-run double, two walks, three runs and two steals.
He was promoted to Stockton of the California League on June 23 and is batting .396 with 10 RBIs in 11 games.
There have been 39 suspensions this year under the minor league drug program.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 36 articles for today)7:15 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Marlins eliminated from wild-card contention with 3-2 loss to Nationals
- Chicago White Sox manage just 3 hits in 3-1 loss to Archer, Tampa Bay Rays
- Tanaka, returning from elbow injury, and rejuvenated Jeter lead Yankees over Blue Jays 5-2
- MLB cracks down on 'speed'
- Cashner brilliant again in Padres' 3-2 win against Giants
- DeGrom fans 10 in 6 innings as Mets eliminate Braves from playoff contention with 3-game sweep
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- Andrew Cashner has another strong effort as San Diego Padres beat San Francisco Giants 3-2
- Pirates ride Worley, late single by Martin and smart fielding to beat Brewers 1-0, extend lead
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Tough questions for both sides as appeals court reconsiders Barry Bonds obstruction conviction
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google