Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Big Papi staying in Red Sox uniform
BOSTON -- The Red Sox have agreed to terms with designated hitter David Ortiz on a two-year deal worth $26 million that could allow a breakout star of the franchise's cathartic 2004 World Series victory to retire in a Boston uniform.
A baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations said Friday night that the sides reached agreement on a deal that, with incentive bonuses, could bring "Big Papi" as much as $30 million in the 2013 and '14 seasons. The official spoke to The Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the deal had not been signed.
Red Sox president Larry Lucchino said the team had nothing to announce. Ortiz' agent, Fern Cuza, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Speaking at the Celtics' home opener against the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday night, Ortiz said, "We haven't finished it up yet."
"It's coming," he said as he walked back to his courtside seat at the TD Garden "It's coming."
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 3, 2012 C7
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 15 articles for today)2:54 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- MLB cracks down on 'speed'
- Jackson leaves in 1st as Cubs lose 14-5 to Kershaw, Dodgers
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Cashner brilliant again in Padres' 3-2 win against Giants
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Andrew Cashner has another strong effort as San Diego Padres beat San Francisco Giants 3-2
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google