The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Blue Jays' Bautista, Encarnacion, Buehrle named to American League all-star team
Toronto Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista is heading to the all-star game in Minnesota as the leading MLB vote-getter for the second time in four seasons.
Bautista, who will start in right field for the American League team at the July 15 all-star game at Target Field, received 5,859,019 votes to earn his fourth consecutive fan election and fifth overall all-star selection.
He also led the vote total in 2011, when his 7,454,753 votes broke the record previously set by Ken Griffey Jr. in 1994.
Bautista is one of three Blue Jays to be named to the AL all-star team, with first baseman Edwin Encarnacion and left-hander Mark Buehrle also making the cut.
MLB announced the rosters on Sunday.
Bautista, the captain of the AL squad at the 2014 Home Run Derby, leads the AL with a .423 on-base percentage and 60 walks, is seventh with 56 runs scored, eighth with a .529 slugging percentage and tied for 10th with 17 home runs.
Encarnacion, who injured his right quadriceps in Saturday's game against the Oakland Athletics, was chosen by AL all-star team manager John Farrell as a reserve. Encarnacion has 26 home runs and 70 RBIs through 88 games.
Buehrle was selected through the player ballot. The 35-year-old is 10-6 with a 2.60 ERA.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 11 articles for today)5:39 AM 0
MIAMI - The Marlins failed in their late comeback attempt and saw their fleeting playoff hopes come to an end.
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Jackson leaves in 1st as Cubs lose 14-5 to Kershaw, Dodgers
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- The Captain: A look back at the magic moments that defined Derek Jeter's illustrious career
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google