Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/7/2013 (1191 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
TORONTO -- J.P. Arencibia is done with Twitter.
The outspoken Toronto Blue Jays catcher tweeted he was leaving the social media website and promptly deleted his account Tuesday morning.
"It's unfortunate to see how words are twisted to make false stories," he said in a three-part tweet to some 145,000 followers. "I give way too much of myself to have others try and make me out to (be) something/someone I'm not."
Arencibia has struggled on the field this season, prompting criticism from both fans and the media.
"I will no longer be on twitter," he said. "Thanks to all the fans who support and praying for the others that hate. God bless."
It's not the first time Arencibia has responded to his critics. Earlier this month, Arencibia lashed out at Sportsnet analysts Dirk Hayhurst and Gregg Zaun over their negative comments.
Batting .219 this season, Arencibia has made five errors, allowed 34 stolen bases and 10 passed balls.
The Jays have also struggled and sit last in the American League East, 13.5 games back with a 45-53 record entering play Tuesday night.
They were hammered 14-5 by the Los Angeles Dodgers on Monday night.
-- The Canadian Press