The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Blue Jays demote OF Pillar after he tosses bat in dugout outburst, promote OF Glenn
TORONTO - The Toronto Blue Jays have sent outfielder Kevin Pillar back to the minors, one day after the rookie threw his bat down the dugout steps when he was pulled for a pinch hitter.
The Blue Jays selected outfielder Brad Glenn from Triple-A Buffalo on Wednesday. Pillar was hitting .225 with no home runs and two RBIs, and was demoted to Triple-A.
Pillar tossed his bat down the steps leading from the dugout to the clubhouse after Anthony Gose batted for him in the eighth inning Tuesday night against the Yankees.
Pillar then walked the length of the dugout and took off his batting gloves while having a brief and civil conversation with manager John Gibbons.
On Wednesday, Gibbons said Glenn was promoted to increase offensive production. But Gibbons acknowledged that Pillar's antics "didn't help him at all."
"This is a team game," Gibbons said. "There's no room for selfish play."
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 11 articles for today)5:39 AM 0
MIAMI - The Marlins failed in their late comeback attempt and saw their fleeting playoff hopes come to an end.
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Jackson leaves in 1st as Cubs lose 14-5 to Kershaw, Dodgers
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Justin Bour hits first major league homer in Marlins' 3-2 loss to Nationals
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google