The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Blue Jays slugger Encarnacion starts at DH after taking hit to head in Tuesday's game
TORONTO - Toronto Blue Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion started at designated hitter in Wednesday's series finale against the New York Yankees, one day after he was struck in the back of the head by Mark Teixeira's elbow in a collision at first base.
Encarnacion said he "saw black" after the incident in the seventh inning, when he leaned back into the baseline to try and catch an errant, bounced throw from shortstop Jose Reyes. Teixeira's arm struck Encarnacion from behind, knocking him to the ground.
Toronto's trainer came out and performed concussion tests on Encarnacion, who was able to stay in the game. He did, however, lose track of the count while batting in the eighth, and had to be told to take his base after drawing a walk.
Encarnacion entered play Wednesday batting .277 with team-highs of 24 home runs and 63 RBIs. Adam Lind started at first base against New York.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 36 articles for today)10:48 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Padres righty Despaigne dominates Giants again, 5-0
- The Captain: A look back at the magic moments that defined Derek Jeter's illustrious career
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Errors doom Astros as Ackley, Zunino and Seager all homer to help Seattle Mariners to 10-5 win
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google