The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Boston's Ortiz unavailable against Blue Jays with bruised right foot, could return Tuesday

  • Print

TORONTO - Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was ruled out for Boston's game against the Toronto Blue Jays on Monday night because of a bruised right foot.

Ortiz left Sunday's game against Seattle in the sixth, two innings after fouling a ball off his foot. He is batting .265 with 30 home runs, tied for fourth-most in the majors. He also has 93 RBIs, one shy of the big league lead entering play Monday.

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Ortiz had shown improvement since sustaining the injury, and the team hopes he can return to the lineup Tuesday.

Ortiz has 37 career homers at Rogers Centre, his highest total at any road stadium.

Mike Napoli started at designated hitter Monday and Allen Craig made his first start for the Red Sox at first base.

Also on Monday, the Red Sox placed shortstop Xander Bogaerts on the seven-day concussion disabled list, retroactive to Saturday, and selected the contract of infielder Carlos Rivero from Triple-A Pawtucket.

Bogaerts left Friday's game against Seattle after he was hit on the ear flap of his helmet by a pitch from Felix Hernandez in the fifth.

Farrell said versatile rookie Brock Holt will handle shortstop until Bogaerts is ready to return.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Throne speech supports Winnipeg, Bowman and Chief say

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Goslings with some size head for cover Wednesday afternoon on Commerce Drive in Tuxedo Business Park - See Bryksa 30 Goose Challenge- Day 12- May 16, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • KEN GIGLIOTTI  WINNIPEG FREE PRESS / July 23 2009 - 090723 - Bart Kives story - Harry Lazarenko Annual River Bank Tour - receding water from summer rains and erosion  damage by flood  and ice  during spring flooding -  Red River , Lyndale Dr. damage to tree roots , river bank damage  , high water marks after 2009 Flood - POY

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who has been the Jets best defenceman so far this season?

View Results

View Related Story

Ads by Google