The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Brewers boost thin bench, call up INF Jeff Bianchi after injuries to Gomez and Segura
MILWAUKEE - The Brewers promoted Jeff Bianchi from Triple-A Nashville on Sunday to fortify their bench after injuries to outfielder Carlos Gomez and shortstop Jean Segura.
Bianchi began the season in Milwaukee before being sent down last month. He was hitting .276 with three homers and 14 RBIs in the minors.
Gomez left Saturday's 7-4 win over Colorado in the seventh with a neck strain after colliding with Ryan Braun in the outfield. Segura had left an inning earlier with leg cramps.
The Brewers were wrapping up a four-game series Sunday with the Rockies, which would also finish a stretch of 20 games without a day off. Both players were out of the starting lineup Sunday, though manager Ron Roenicke said they were available off the bench if needed.
Gomez said he was scared initially after the injury after feeling a tingling sensation throughout his body. He had a headache and sore neck, but passed a concussion test.
Gomez also hurt his head Friday night after sliding headfirst into second and glancing off second baseman Josh Rutledge's leg.
"We have extra players, so we decided to have a day after I (got) hit twice in the head," Gomez said Sunday. "Everything is fine. The neck is OK."
Reliever Alfredo Figaro was sent to Nashville to make room for Bianchi and give Milwaukee a five-man bench again.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)09/21/2014 11:18 PM 0
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Texas Rangers are determined to put a strong finish on a mostly miserable season.
Ryan Rua hit ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Detroit Tigers miss chance for sweep, lose 5-2 to Guthrie, Kansas City Royals
- Giants lose third straight to Padres, 8-2, to fall 4 1/2 games behind Dodgers
- Marlins eliminated from wild-card contention with 3-2 loss to Nationals
- Tanaka, returning from elbow injury, and rejuvenated Jeter lead Yankees over Blue Jays 5-2
- DeGrom fans 10 in 6 innings as Mets eliminate Braves from playoff contention with 3-game sweep
- Pirates ride Worley, late single by Martin and smart fielding to beat Brewers 1-0, extend lead
- Chicago White Sox manage just 3 hits in 3-1 loss to Archer, Tampa Bay Rays
- Corey Kluber strikes out 14. Indians stay close in Wild Card race with 7-2 win over Minnesota
- Reds give up HRs to Cardinals' Cruz, Wong, Grichuk in 8-4 loss
- Jered Weaver gets plenty of support in 18th win as Angels beat Rangers 8-5
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Mariners manage just 1 hit, lose 5-0 to AL West champion Angels despite Paxton's strong effort
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google