The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Captain Derek Jeter says Yankees have to move forward now that A-Rod's suspension is official

  • Print

TAMPA, Fla. - Derek Jeter says the New York Yankees have no choice but to move forward now that Alex Rodriguez has accepted his suspension for the 2014 season.

Rodriguez ended his extended and acrimonious fight with Major League Baseball on Friday, withdrawing a pair of lawsuits that were filed in an attempt to overturn a season-long ban for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal — the longest penalty in the sport's history related to performance-enhancing drugs.

Jeter spoke Monday at the Yankees' minor league complex. He said he has texted with A-Rod since the lawsuits were dropped.

Rodriguez was given a 211-game ban last year by baseball Commissioner Bud Selig that was reduced to 162 plus the 2014 post-season by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz. A-Rod sued MLB and the union in federal court in Manhattan, claiming the arbitration process was flawed. Rodriguez's lawyers filed notices of dismissal in both cases.

"He's not here for this season, so we're going to have to find ways to win with the team that we have," Jeter said Monday at the Yankees' minor league complex. "It's a complicated situation, but it's pretty much played out. That's what has happened."

Rodriguez was given a 211-game ban last year by baseball Commissioner Bud Selig that was reduced to 162 plus the 2014 post-season by arbitrator Fredric Horowitz. A-Rod sued MLB and the union in federal court in Manhattan, claiming the arbitration process was flawed. Rodriguez's lawyers filed notices of dismissal in both cases.

Jeter has texted with Rodriguez since the decision to end the lawsuits came about.

"You'd have to ask him how he feels about it, if he's glad that it's over with," Jeter said. "It's a situation that he has to deal with. Now it's over and it's done with, and we'll move on from there. But you'd have to ask him how he feels about that."

Rodriguez will be 39 when eligible to return in a year. The Yankees owe him $21 million in 2015 and $20 million in each of the final two seasons of a record $275 million, 10-year deal.

NOTES: Jeter, limited to 17-games last season after breaking his ankle during the 2012 AL Championship Series, started his fourth week of on-field work. ... RHP Michael Pineda, a fifth-starter candidate sidelined the past two years by a right shoulder injury, is throwing off a mound. "I'm feeling 100 per cent right now, and my body is in perfect shape," said a trimmed down 260-pound Pineda. "Everything is in the past. I'm ready to go." ... C Francisco Cervelli, who broke his right hand April 26, and then was suspended for 50 games on Aug. 5 following MLB's investigation of the same Florida anti-aging clinic that ensnared Rodriguez, is also doing early work. "Last year was a disaster, and we just take the positives out of everything for being a better person and a better player," Cervelli said.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Chief justices breakdown cameras in courtroom project

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Carolyn Kavanagh(10) had this large dragonfly land on her while spending time at Winnetka Lake, Ontario. photo by Andrea Kavanagh (mom0 show us your summer winnipeg free press
  • Susan and Gary Harrisonwalk their dog Emma on a peaceful foggy morning in Assiniboine Park – Standup photo– November 27, 2011   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

What Western Conference teams will emerge from the first round of the NHL playoffs?

View Results

Ads by Google