Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
City sportsman began baseball, golf enterprises
WINNIPEG businessman Jeff Gidney, a co-founder of Jazz Golf Equipment and founder of the now-defunct Calgary Vipers baseball team, has died. He was 65.
Gidney died in a Victoria care facility after a lengthy illness.
"He was hands-on in everything he did," said longtime friend Peter Young, who along with Gidney and his background in retail were determined to succeed in spite of Calgary's tradition with pro baseball teams including the triple 'A' Calgary Cannons and Calgary Outlaws. "He loved being the owner of a professional baseball team. And he loved his players.
"Everything was done the way he wanted it done."
There will be a celebration of his life on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m. at the Pony Corral on St. Mary's.
"Jeff wasn't afraid of a challenge, to say the least," said Sam Katz, the Winnipeg Goldeyes owner and now mayor of Winnipeg, who helped Gidney and Young in the process of starting the Vipers. "When you're doing something different and something new, the first people that come forward are all the naysayers, 'You can't do this, you can't do that.' "
-- Postmedia News
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition August 18, 2012 C7
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)09/21/2014 11:18 PM 0
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Texas Rangers are determined to put a strong finish on a mostly miserable season.
Ryan Rua hit ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Detroit Tigers miss chance for sweep, lose 5-2 to Guthrie, Kansas City Royals
- Giants lose third straight to Padres, 8-2, to fall 4 1/2 games behind Dodgers
- Tanaka, returning from elbow injury, and rejuvenated Jeter lead Yankees over Blue Jays 5-2
- DeGrom fans 10 in 6 innings as Mets eliminate Braves from playoff contention with 3-game sweep
- Pirates ride Worley, late single by Martin and smart fielding to beat Brewers 1-0, extend lead
- Corey Kluber strikes out 14. Indians stay close in Wild Card race with 7-2 win over Minnesota
- Strasburg leads Nationals to 2-1 win over Marlins, completes 4-game sweep
- Tripped up: Blue Jays lose to Yanks 5-2 for 1-6 trip and head home virtually out of contention
- Cashner brilliant again in Padres' 3-2 win against Giants
- Chicago White Sox manage just 3 hits in 3-1 loss to Archer, Tampa Bay Rays
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google