The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Dodgers release C Miguel Olivo after biting off piece of teammates ear in minor league fight

  • Print

NEW YORK, N.Y. - Miguel Olivo was released by the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday, two days after biting off a piece of Triple-A Albuquerque teammate Alex Guerrero's left ear during a dugout brawl.

Olivo, a veteran catcher, and Guerrero, the highly paid Cuban second base prospect, fought during the Isotopes game at Salt Lake on Tuesday. The Dodgers suspended Olivo on Wednesday while they conducted an investigation.

"It's unimaginable, inconceivable and unforgiveable," Dodgers President Stan Kasten said at Citi Field before the Dodgers played the New York Mets. "It's not a question of fault. The action of removing a part of someone's ear is unforgiveable. Fault is not an issue here."

The 27-year-old Guerrero had reconstructive surgery on his ear and there is no timetable for his return, Kasten said. The Dodgers executive said he was told Olivo bit off significant chunk from the top of Guerrero's ear.

"They didn't stich him up and say go out. This is plastic surgery," Kasten said. "They had to reattach that portion of the ear and regrow skin over it. It's quite complicated."

The Dodgers should have a better idea of how long Guerrero will be out by Sunday, Kasten said. After he is released from the Salt Lake City hospital, he will go to Los Angeles for the next phase of his recovery.

"He's going to be fine one way or another," Kasten said. "He's going to play."

Kasten said there was no decision yet on whether Guerrero will file criminal charges.

Olivo will not face discipline from the commissioner's office because the Dodgers terminated his contract. Under the collective bargaining agreement, either the club or Major League Baseball can discipline a player, not both.

Guerrero signed a $28 million, four-year deal with the Dodgers in October, and he was beaten out for the starting second base job by Dee Gordon in spring training.

He is hitting .376 with 10 home runs and 29 RBIs in the Pacific Coast League.

The fight happened in the dugout during the eighth inning of Albuquerque's 7-4 loss to Salt Lake, briefly delaying the game, and both players were removed from the lineup soon afterward.

The Los Angeles Times reported the disagreement began with Olivo getting upset that Guerrero failed to tag out a runner after a throw from Olivo, according to Guerrero's agent, Scott Boras. Replays showed Olivo charging Guerrero during a mound visit.

In his 13th big league season, Olivo has displayed a hot temper on the field before. He charged at Jose Reyes and missed with a wild punch during a dustup between the Marlins and Mets in the 2007 season.

The 35-year-old catcher appeared in eight games for the Dodgers this month. He was paid $110,000 in the minors and $800,000 while with the big league club.

Kasten said Olivo is scheduled to clear waivers Saturday. The Dodgers might then have to deal with the issue of whether they have to pay Olivo the remainder of his contract.

Olivo was sent down last week when A.J. Ellis came off the disabled.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said he hasn't thought about how the loss of Olivo, who was on the 40-man roster, affects the organizations depth at catcher.

___

AP Sports Writer Beth Harris contributed to this report from Los Angeles.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Jaws of life used to free two people after two-car collision

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS
  • JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Local- A large osprey lands in it's nest in a hydro pole on Hyw 59  near the Hillside Beach turnoff turn off. Osprey a large narrow winged hawk which can have a wingspan of over 54 inches are making a incredible recovery since pesticide use of the 1950's and  1960's- For the last two decades these fish hawks have been reappearing in the Lake Winnipeg area- Aug 03, 2005

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How surpised are you by the Bombers’ 4-1 start to the season?

View Results

Ads by Google