Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Five days of fanfare planned for all-star game
NEW YORK -- Baseball's best players will parade past Grand Central Terminal and a convention centre will be transformed into a baseball theme park as part of the festivities for the first all-star game at the Mets' new stadium.
The party plans include five days of fanfare, including all-star players parading along 42nd Street on a massive red carpet, player appearances and baseball clinics at the Javits Center convention facility, and, of course, the annual home run derby at Citi Field.
"There's nothing that's comparable to playing in an all-star game in New York," Mets third baseman David Wright said Wednesday at a news conference announcing festivities leading up to the July 16 showdown at Citi Field.
Baseball also marked the official start of all-star voting, with the online ballot up and running and voting slated for every major league stadium by May 7.
Wright has been selected for six all-star games, including 2008 at the old Yankee Stadium. But he would "gladly trade all six of those in to participate in this year's," he said at city hall, flanked by former Mets Edgardo Alfonzo, John Franco and Mookie Wilson.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition April 25, 2013 D9
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)9:54 AM 0
ATLANTA - A person with knowledge of the deal says the San Diego Padres have agreed to acquire slugger Justin ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Woman injured in fall at Fenway Park sues Red Sox owner, elevator company
- From Negro Leagues to current major league stars, a long history of US-Cuba baseball ties
- Padres, Dodgers finalize deal that sends slugger Matt Kemp to San Diego
- Red Sox get Anthony Varvaro from Braves for minor leaguer Aaron Kurcz in swap of right-handers
- Seattle Mariners sign 2 pitchers, infielder to minor-league deals with spring training invite
- Person with knowledge of deal: Rays send Myers, 3 others to Padres for Rivera
- Showalter says suspended Chris Davis has use 2015 exemption for Adderall approved by MLB
- For Major League Baseball, changes in Cuba will take time to sort out
- Alex Rodriguez cousin seeks delay in drug trial, citing health concerns and complex evidence
- Outfielder Nyjer Morgan signs $700,000, 1-year contract with South Korean baseball team
- Person with direct knowledge of deal: Cubs, Motte agree to $4.5 million, 1-year contract
- Yankees GM views Alex Rodriguez as full-time designated hitter, not 'the same player' he was
- Blue Jays sign Wilton Lopez, Caleb Gindle, Jake Fox to minor league deals
- Things to know about Major League Baseball free-agent signings
- Person familiar with agreement: Lester sets records with $30M signing bonus, $15M up front
- Red Sox rebuild rotation in winter almost as quickly as they dismantled it over the summer
- Things to know about the most recent moves in Major League Baseball
- Atlanta Braves and infielder Alberto Callaspo finalize $3 million, 1-year contract
- Old-style swaps dominate MLB winter meetings as new leaders scramble to fill voids
- Chase Headley, Yankees agree to $52 million, 4-year deal, signalling end of A-Rod at third base
- Blue Jays trade Lawrie, prospects to Athletics for all-star Donaldson
- Shutout: All 10 baseball Hall of Fame candidates fall short in Golden Era committee voting
- Giants ride Bumgarner, Crawford into NLDS showdown with Nationals
- Bumgarner goes distance, Crawford hits grand slam as Giants rout Pirates 8-0 in wild-card game
- Pirates carry 3 catchers to protect hurting Martin; Giants put Peavy on wild-card roster
- Washington's Strasburg to face guy he admires, San Francisco's Peavy, in Game 1 of NLDS
- Column: Playoffs open with epic game, but baseball is in need of fixing
- The 1st of October: Mike Trout makes playoff debut when MLB-best Angels host upstart Royals
- Diamondbacks infielder Chris Owings to undergo labrum operation
- Texas gets pitcher Figaro on waiver claim from Rangers, Font designated for assignment
Ads by Google