Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Former Expos pitcher Perez, 55, killed in home robbery
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Former Montreal Expos pitcher Pascual Perez, who had a troubled 11-season career that included two suspensions for drug use, was killed at his home in the Dominican Republic in an apparent robbery, police said Thursday.
The 55-year-old Perez, who last played in the majors for the New York Yankees in 1991, was found with a severe head wound in a town west of the capital, Santo Domingo, and there was evidence at the scene to suggest that whoever killed him had been searching for money, said Joel Valdemiro, a prosecutor who is involved in the investigation.
No one was in custody and authorities did not reveal whether they had any suspects. Police said there were several assailants and that the house in the town of San Gregrorio de Nigua appeared to have been ransacked.
"It's an act of criminality, unfortunately," Valdemiro said, adding that there is evidence the killing might have been premeditated.
Perez's brother Carlos, a former left-handed pitcher for the Dodgers who spent six years in the majors, confirmed his death.
Perez's ex-wife Maritza Montero found his body about 8:30 a.m. Thursday and investigators said he appeared to have been slain about eight hours earlier.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 2, 2012 C5
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 17 articles for today)2:34 PM 0
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Los Angeles Angels have acquired second baseman Johnny Giavotella from the Kansas City Royals for minor ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Woman injured in fall at Fenway Park sues Red Sox owner, elevator company
- Padres, Dodgers finalize deal that sends slugger Matt Kemp to San Diego
- Person familiar with deal: Padres agree to acquire Justin Upton from Braves for prospects
- St Petersburg City Council rejects deal to let Rays expand search for new stadium sites
- Athletics trade All-Star catcher Derek Norris to Padres for pair of right-handers
- Seattle Mariners sign 2 pitchers, infielder to minor-league deals with spring training invite
- 6th man scheduled to plead guilty in MLB performance-enhancing drugs investigation
- For Major League Baseball, changes in Cuba will take time to sort out
- Pitcher Kris Medlan, coming off elbow surgery, agrees to $8.5 million, 2-year deal with Royals
- Phillies finalize deal sending Jimmy Rollins to Dodgers for pair of prospects
- Person with direct knowledge of deal: Cubs, Motte agree to $4.5 million, 1-year contract
- Yankees GM views Alex Rodriguez as full-time designated hitter, not 'the same player' he was
- Things to know about Major League Baseball free-agent signings
- Blue Jays sign Wilton Lopez, Caleb Gindle, Jake Fox to minor league deals
- Person familiar with agreement: Lester sets records with $30M signing bonus, $15M up front
- Red Sox rebuild rotation in winter almost as quickly as they dismantled it over the summer
- Things to know about the most recent moves in Major League Baseball
- Atlanta Braves and infielder Alberto Callaspo finalize $3 million, 1-year contract
- Chase Headley, Yankees agree to $52 million, 4-year deal, signalling end of A-Rod at third base
- Person with knowledge of negotiations: Alex Rios, Royals agree to $11 million, 1-year contract
- Blue Jays trade Lawrie, prospects to Athletics for all-star Donaldson
- Shutout: All 10 baseball Hall of Fame candidates fall short in Golden Era committee voting
- Giants ride Bumgarner, Crawford into NLDS showdown with Nationals
- Bumgarner goes distance, Crawford hits grand slam as Giants rout Pirates 8-0 in wild-card game
- Pirates carry 3 catchers to protect hurting Martin; Giants put Peavy on wild-card roster
- Washington's Strasburg to face guy he admires, San Francisco's Peavy, in Game 1 of NLDS
- Column: Playoffs open with epic game, but baseball is in need of fixing
- The 1st of October: Mike Trout makes playoff debut when MLB-best Angels host upstart Royals
- Diamondbacks infielder Chris Owings to undergo labrum operation
- Texas gets pitcher Figaro on waiver claim from Rangers, Font designated for assignment
Ads by Google