Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 1/11/2012 (1391 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Former Montreal Expos pitcher Pascual Perez, who had a troubled 11-season career that included two suspensions for drug use, was killed at his home in the Dominican Republic in an apparent robbery, police said Thursday.
The 55-year-old Perez, who last played in the majors for the New York Yankees in 1991, was found with a severe head wound in a town west of the capital, Santo Domingo, and there was evidence at the scene to suggest that whoever killed him had been searching for money, said Joel Valdemiro, a prosecutor who is involved in the investigation.
No one was in custody and authorities did not reveal whether they had any suspects. Police said there were several assailants and that the house in the town of San Gregrorio de Nigua appeared to have been ransacked.
"It's an act of criminality, unfortunately," Valdemiro said, adding that there is evidence the killing might have been premeditated.
Perez's brother Carlos, a former left-handed pitcher for the Dodgers who spent six years in the majors, confirmed his death.
Perez's ex-wife Maritza Montero found his body about 8:30 a.m. Thursday and investigators said he appeared to have been slain about eight hours earlier.
-- The Associated Press