Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Former Tiger slugger Young has day in court
NEW YORK -- Former Detroit Tigers slugger Delmon Young pleaded guilty Wednesday to aggravated harassment for shouting an anti-Semitic slur and tackling a man to the ground outside a New York City hotel last spring.
The 27-year-old outfielder, who became a free agent after the World Series, was ordered to complete 10 days of community service and enrol in a program at the Museum of Tolerance New York as part of the Manhattan District Attorney's office restorative justice program.
"Delmon clearly regrets what happened and took the necessary steps to put this issue behind him today," his lawyer, Dan Ollen, said in a statement. "He has learned from this experience and will continue to do everything he can to improve himself as a person and player."
Young was standing outside of the Hilton New York and was accused of yelling anti-Jewish epithets at a group of tourists, tussling with them and tackling one to the ground in April, when the Tigers were in town to play the New York Yankees.
If Young completes the program successfully he'll be able to withdraw his plea and plead guilty to a lesser charge.
"Dispositions for defendants charged with bias-related crimes need to be thoughtful and tailored toward healing both the defendant and the entire targeted community," District Attorney Cyrus R. Vance said.
Ollen said that in six months, "the charges will be vacated and reduced to a simple violation of harassment, which is not a crime under New York law."
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 8, 2012 D10
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)12/19/2014 11:48 PM 0
OAKLAND, Calif. - The Oakland Athletics have released infielder Nick Punto.
The A's made the announcement Friday, saying Punto was released ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Padres pull off another big move, acquiring slugger Justin Upton from Braves for 4 prospects
- LA Angels acquire second baseman Johnny Giavotella from Royals for pitcher Brian Broderick
- Yankees send Prado and Phelps to Marlins for Eovaldi, Jones and minor leaguer
- Seattle Mariners sign 2 pitchers, infielder to minor-league deals with spring training invite
- Padres, Dodgers finalize deal that sends slugger Matt Kemp to San Diego
- Toronto Blue Jays sign Canadian left-hander Andrew Albers to minor-league deal
- Padres obtain third baseman Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for catcher Ryan Hanigan
- From Negro Leagues to current major league stars, a long history of US-Cuba baseball ties
- Woman injured in fall at Fenway Park sues Red Sox owner, elevator company
- Preller has Padres singing new tune with deals for Kemp, Myers, Upton, Norris, Middlebrooks
- Person with direct knowledge of deal: Cubs, Motte agree to $4.5 million, 1-year contract
- Yankees GM views Alex Rodriguez as full-time designated hitter, not 'the same player' he was
- Things to know about Major League Baseball free-agent signings
- Person familiar with agreement: Lester sets records with $30M signing bonus, $15M up front
- Blue Jays sign Wilton Lopez, Caleb Gindle, Jake Fox to minor league deals
- Things to know about the most recent moves in Major League Baseball
- Atlanta Braves and infielder Alberto Callaspo finalize $3 million, 1-year contract
- Person with knowledge of negotiations: Alex Rios, Royals agree to $11 million, 1-year contract
- Chase Headley, Yankees agree to $52 million, 4-year deal, signalling end of A-Rod at third base
- Brian Cashman views Alex Rodriguez as full-time DH, not 'the same player' he was
- Blue Jays trade Lawrie, prospects to Athletics for all-star Donaldson
- Shutout: All 10 baseball Hall of Fame candidates fall short in Golden Era committee voting
- Giants ride Bumgarner, Crawford into NLDS showdown with Nationals
- Bumgarner goes distance, Crawford hits grand slam as Giants rout Pirates 8-0 in wild-card game
- Column: Playoffs open with epic game, but baseball is in need of fixing
- Washington's Strasburg to face guy he admires, San Francisco's Peavy, in Game 1 of NLDS
- Pirates carry 3 catchers to protect hurting Martin; Giants put Peavy on wild-card roster
- Diamondbacks infielder Chris Owings to undergo labrum operation
- The 1st of October: Mike Trout makes playoff debut when MLB-best Angels host upstart Royals
- Texas gets pitcher Figaro on waiver claim from Rangers, Font designated for assignment
Ads by Google