The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Indians activate DH Jason Giambi from disabled list, recall RHP Bauer to start against Tigers

  • Print

CLEVELAND - Jason Giambi has never taken a single day as a major leaguer for granted.

And at 43, the veteran slugger's not about to start.

Giambi was activated from the disabled list on Tuesday by the Cleveland Indians, who also recalled right-hander Trevor Bauer from Triple-A Columbus to start against Detroit and made several other roster moves.

Although he wasn't in the starting lineup to face Justin Verlander, Giambi is grateful to be back in any capacity.

"It's fun to have your name on the lineup card and get a chance to help the ball club out," he said.

Giambi had been placed on the DL on May 5 with a strained calf he injured a day earlier against the Chicago White Sox. It was his Giambi's second trip to the DL after he fractured a rib during spring training.

Before he went on the DL last month, Giambi, who has 438 career homers, was hitless in 10 at-bats.

It's been a rough start.

"I went basically from a broken rib, played a few games, calf injury," he said. "That kind of happens when you get that short spring training and don't get to play much. It's definitely hard to get going and come back to the cold weather, but I'm excited to be back."

The Indians also promoted utility man Justin Sellers from Triple-A Columbus and optioned infielder Jose Ramirez to the Clippers. First baseman Jesus Aguilar, who had two RBIs in Monday's win over Detroit, and left-hander T.J. House were optioned back to the minor leagues to clear room for Giambi and Bauer.

Indians manager Terry Francona intends to use Giambi in pinch-hitting situations. He'll also be used at designated hitter, and could see more time if Carlos Santana, who is batting .148, continues to struggle.

Giambi said if there was one positive about his calf injury, it's that it didn't prevent him from keeping his swing sharp.

"I was able to do everything," he said. "I could hit. I could do everything else. With the rib, I basically couldn't do anything. I was shut down for basically five weeks, not doing anything.

"So, that was nice. I could still hit, throw, everything but run. I kept up with my hitting, which was great. I feel like I could catch up, like I don't have to make up that time to get some swings in, so that's big for me."

Bauer will be making his second start. The right-hander, who went 4-1 with a 2.15 ERA in seven starts in the minors, will match up against Verlander and face Detroit's fearsome lineup for the first time.

The 23-year-old Bauer struck out eight in a spot start against San Diego on April 9. He took the loss, but went back to Columbus and continued to dominate.

"We were glad we got a chance to glimpse the last outing, and then he went back to Triple-A and kicked it into gear," Francona said. "We've been talking for a year, this guy's a big part of what we want to do going forward. And to see him growing and understanding, it's exciting."

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Glenn January won't blame offensive line for first loss

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • JJOE.BRYKSA@FREEPRESS.MB.CA Local-Postcard  Day-Horror frost and fog created a most beautiful setting at Assiniboine Park Thursday morning in WInnipeg- Enviroent Canada says the fog will lifet this morning and will see a high of -7C-  JOE BRYKSA/WINNIPEG FREE PRESS- Feb 18, 2010
  • A pelican comes in for a landing Wednesday afternoon on the Red River at Lockport, Manitoba - Standup photo- June 27, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

Who are the real Bombers?

View Results

Ads by Google