The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Former Dodgers owner testifies at trial that he wasn't personally involved in stadium security

  • Print

LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Former Dodgers owner Frank McCourt testified Friday in a lawsuit filed over a severe beating at Dodger Stadium that he wasn't personally involved in security matters at the venue but did suggest a fan code of conduct.

McCourt was only on the witness stand for about an hour in the negligence case filed on behalf of San Francisco Giants fan Bryan Stow, who suffered brain damage in the beating in a parking lot after the 2011 Opening Day game between the California rivals.

McCourt, who had been questioned by David Lira, an attorney for Stow, in pretrial depositions, appeared prepared for every question and was cautious in his answers, even when asked about his ownership of the Dodgers.

"It was owned by a legal entity, but as a practical matter I owned the stadium," McCourt said.

Asked if he owned the parking lots, McCourt gave the same answer. He acknowledged he still had an ownership interest in the parking facilities.

Tom Girardi, lead attorney for Stow, had said Thursday that he wanted to question McCourt about his lavish lifestyle and spending, suggesting McCourt had drained money from the team that could have gone to security.

Outside court on Friday, however, Girardi said Superior Court Judge Victor Chavez told lawyers during a conference in his chambers that he would prefer they not ask questions about McCourt's personal finances and lifestyle, and they yielded. Girardi did not elaborate.

Stow was not in court for the testimony. Two Dodgers fans, Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood, have pleaded guilty to criminal charges in the attack on Stow, who became a symbol of violence at sporting events.

Lira asked McCourt on Friday if he had hands-on involvement in security matters. McCourt said he did not.

McCourt acknowledged making public statements that a quality and safe fan experience is a core value of the Dodgers. He also testified that he suggested the drafting of a fan code of conduct, which was adopted.

The 11 lengthy points of the code were posted on large signs at the stadium and a video shown before games encouraged fans to report any misconduct to an usher or security guard, or by phone or text message, according to testimony.

McCourt said security was left to the management team that worked for him.

McCourt's attorney, Dana Fox, asked him if there was someone at Dodger Stadium who held the title of director of security.

"No," said McCourt, adding that there were others who filled that post during the time he was there.

Asked by his lawyer if he ever cut funding for security, McCourt said, "Absolutely not."

Lira focused on a vice-president in charge of operations named Francine Hughes, who is expected to be called to testify next week.

Asked if it was clear she had no prior experience in stadium operations or security, McCourt answered, "I never reviewed Francine's resume."

After his testimony, McCourt would not take questions from reporters but made a statement outside.

"Like all Dodger fans I was appalled at the criminal behaviour of Sanchez and Norwood," he said. "And make no mistake, they're the parties responsible for this tragic incident. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Stow and his family."

Other testimony in the trial has focused on Stow's injuries and need for lifetime care, and the contention that there was insufficient security to protect fans at the game.

Witnesses have said no security guards were visible in the parking lot where Stow was beaten. The defence countered that there was more security than at any other Dodgers opening day in history.

McCourt paid $430 million in 2004 to buy the team, Dodger Stadium and 250 acres of land that includes parking lots, from the Fox division News Corp., a sale that left the team with about $50 million in cash at the time.

The Dodgers went into bankruptcy protection in June 2011 and the next year McCourt sold the team for $2 billion.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Weather for final Fringing weekend

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • A  young goose stuffed with bread from  St Vital park passers-by takes a nap in the shade Thursday near lunch  –see Bryksa’s 30 day goose challenge Day 29-June 28, 2012   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)
  • MIKE.DEAL@FREEPRESS.MB.CA 100615 - Tuesday, June 15th, 2010 The Mane Attraction - Lions are back at the Assiniboine Park Zoo. Xerxes a 3-year-old male African Lion rests in the shade of a tree in his new enclosure at the old Giant Panda building.  MIKE DEAL / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How surpised are you by the Bombers’ 4-1 start to the season?

View Results

Ads by Google