The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Mets LHP Jonathon Niese leaves start against Texas in 1st after getting by liner in lower back
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Mets pitcher Jonathon Niese has left his start against Texas in the first inning after getting hit in the lower back by a line drive.
The team says X-rays were negative and Niese has a bruise.
Alex Rios' liner hit Niese on the left side of his lower back Friday night. He recovered to throw out Rios at first base before manager Terry Collins, pitching coach Dan Warthen and trainer Ray Ramirez came out to check on Niese.
The left-hander repeatedly told Collins he was fine, but was removed anyway without trying a warmup pitch. Carlos Torres was given all the time he needed to get loose.
An angry Niese fired his glove against the dugout wall and knocked over a bucket of bubble gum before disappearing down the tunnel.
The team's most reliable starter this season, Niese got one out on 12 pitches. He gave up a leadoff homer to Shin-Soo Choo.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 9 articles for today)4:10 AM 0
ANAHEIM, Calif. - Jered Weaver has one more start in the way before the real fun begins, and he's been ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Jackson leaves in 1st as Cubs lose 14-5 to Kershaw, Dodgers
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- The Captain: A look back at the magic moments that defined Derek Jeter's illustrious career
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google