Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
O's Machado has repairs
BALTIMORE -- Orioles third baseman Manny Machado has undergone surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left knee. Monday's operation was performed in California by Dr. Neal ElAttrache, according to the team.
The 75-minute procedure included an arthroscopy and open reconstruction of the medial patellar femoral ligament. A hamstring tendon was used to graft a replacement for the ruptured ligament.
Recovery time is estimated to be around six months.
The 21-year-old Machado played in every game this season before the injury, which occurred on Sept. 23 when he stepped awkwardly on first base in a game at Tampa Bay.
A first-time All-Star this season, Machado hit .283 with 14 homers, 71 RBIs and 51 doubles.
A's Gray needs surgery
OAKLAND, Calif. -- Athletics rookie right-hander Sonny Gray will have surgery on his left thumb to repair a torn ligament.
Grey injured his glove hand on a comebacker by Detroit's Prince Fielder in a 3-0 Game 5 loss in the AL division series Thursday night, which ended Oakland's season. He underwent an MRI exam Friday. The date of surgery is yet to be determined.
Also, 2012 Gold Glove right fielder Josh Reddick is likely to have arthroscopic surgery on a sprained right wrist that twice landed him on the disabled list.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition October 15, 2013 C7
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 12 articles for today)2:15 AM 0
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Seattle Mariners were powerless to stop the Los Angeles Angels from clinching a playoff spot and ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Barry Bonds' obstruction of justice conviction goes back before a court
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Yankees 3B Chase Headley miffed by Rays manager Joe Maddon's comment about hit by pitch
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Blue Jays rookie Stroman suspended 6 games for pitch at Joseph's head, appeals penalty
- Cuban defector Rusney Castillo to make major league debut for Red Sox
- Mariners manage just 1 hit, lose 5-0 to AL West champion Angels despite Paxton's strong effort
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- C.J. Wilson pitches Angels to 1st AL West title since 2009 with 5-0 win over Mariners
- Slumping Yankees star Jeter ends 0-for-28 skid, close to career worst
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Man facing charges for smuggling baseball players
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Orioles' Davis suspended 25 games for positive amphetamine test, he attributes to Adderall
- Marlins' Stanton tweets that he's 'much better,' 1 day after taking pitch in the face
- Marlins star Stanton sustains multiple fractures in beaning vs Brewers, likely done for season
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon hits 2 Washington batters, ejected along with manager Terry Collins
- Marlins star Stanton has multiple fractures, dental damage, stitches after beaning
- Vintage baseball proves a hit; modern players embrace 19th-century rules, uniforms, history
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google