Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Orioles' Davis blasts 50th dinger vs. Jays
TORONTO -- Chris Davis hit his 50th home run of the season in the eighth inning to snap a 3-3 tie as the Baltimore Orioles rallied with five unanswered runs to defeat the Toronto Blue Jays 5-3 on Friday night.
The Orioles slugger flied out deep to centre in the first inning, struck out in the third and flied out to left in the sixth before slamming a pitch from reliever Steve Delabar over the centre-field fence to lead off the eighth for a 4-3 lead.
Baltimore added another run in the inning when Danny Valencia singled home Adam Jones.
The Orioles snapped a three-game losing streak, keeping their wild-card hopes alive while handing Toronto its fourth consecutive loss.
Baltimore also evened its 2013 record against the Jays to 7-7.
It was Davis' seventh home run against the Blue Jays this season -- and his 16th since the start of the 2012 season.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition September 14, 2013 C8
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 50 articles for this week)5:38 AM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Cloudy Blue: With a whirlwind of off-season moves, Friedman puts rebuilt Dodgers on new path
- LA Angels acquire second baseman Johnny Giavotella from Royals for pitcher Brian Broderick
- Things to know about the flurry of news around Major League Baseball on Friday
- Recently acquired RHP Rick Porcello looks to make new Fenway memories with Boston Red Sox
- Los Angeles Dodgers release reliever Brian Wilson, will pay him nearly $10 million salary
- Jimmy Rollins leaves long legacy in Philly, takes his swagger to Hollywood
- Athletics release infielder Nick Punto to clear roster room after trade with Padres
- Padres obtain third baseman Will Middlebrooks from Red Sox for catcher Ryan Hanigan
- Seattle Mariners sign 2 pitchers, infielder to minor-league deals with spring training invite
- Yankees send Prado and Phelps to Marlins for Eovaldi, Jones and minor leaguer
- Person with direct knowledge of deal: Cubs, Motte agree to $4.5 million, 1-year contract
- Yankees GM views Alex Rodriguez as full-time designated hitter, not 'the same player' he was
- Things to know about Major League Baseball free-agent signings
- Person familiar with agreement: Lester sets records with $30M signing bonus, $15M up front
- Things to know about the most recent moves in Major League Baseball
- Atlanta Braves and infielder Alberto Callaspo finalize $3 million, 1-year contract
- Person with knowledge of negotiations: Alex Rios, Royals agree to $11 million, 1-year contract
- Chase Headley, Yankees agree to $52 million, 4-year deal, signalling end of A-Rod at third base
- Brian Cashman views Alex Rodriguez as full-time DH, not 'the same player' he was
- Column: Shift in US-Cuba relations could be boon for MLB - just not anytime soon
- Blue Jays trade Lawrie, prospects to Athletics for all-star Donaldson
- Shutout: All 10 baseball Hall of Fame candidates fall short in Golden Era committee voting
- Giants ride Bumgarner, Crawford into NLDS showdown with Nationals
- Bumgarner goes distance, Crawford hits grand slam as Giants rout Pirates 8-0 in wild-card game
- Washington's Strasburg to face guy he admires, San Francisco's Peavy, in Game 1 of NLDS
- Column: Playoffs open with epic game, but baseball is in need of fixing
- Pirates carry 3 catchers to protect hurting Martin; Giants put Peavy on wild-card roster
- Diamondbacks infielder Chris Owings to undergo labrum operation
- The 1st of October: Mike Trout makes playoff debut when MLB-best Angels host upstart Royals
- Texas gets pitcher Figaro on waiver claim from Rangers, Font designated for assignment
Ads by Google