Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
PEDs the topic at meeting
TAMPA, Fla. -- Alex Rodriguez met with Major League Baseball officials probing the distribution of banned performance-enhancing drugs.
The meeting took place Friday before the New York Yankees third baseman's latest injury rehabilitation game in the minor leagues was rained out.
While A-Rod didn't speak with reporters Friday, the meeting was confirmed by a person who spoke on condition of anonymity because no statements were authorized.
MLB investigators are probing the closed anti-aging clinic Biogenesis. Rodriguez has said he used PEDs while with Texas from 2001-03 but has denied using them since. He was linked to Biogenesis in a report in January by Miami New Times.
It was not known whether Rodriguez refused to answer MLB's questions.
Coming back from hip surgery in January, he had been scheduled to play third base for Class A Tampa. A-Rod was not at Steinbrenner Field when Friday's game was called, marking the second straight day he did not speak with reporters. He also did not take part in pregame batting practice with the Tampa players.
A team official said the Yankees are evaluating whether Rodriguez will stay in Tampa this weekend, where the weather forecast calls for additional rain, or be moved to another minor league team.
-- The Associated Press
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition July 14, 2013 B6
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 6 articles for today)11:53 AM 0
NEW YORK, N.Y. - Bud Selig will be given the title of baseball commissioner emeritus when he retires next month.
Photo Store Gallery
- Woman injured in fall at Fenway Park sues Red Sox owner, elevator company
- Padres, Dodgers finalize deal that sends slugger Matt Kemp to San Diego
- From Negro Leagues to current major league stars, a long history of US-Cuba baseball ties
- Seattle Mariners sign 2 pitchers, infielder to minor-league deals with spring training invite
- St Petersburg City Council rejects deal to let Rays expand search for new stadium sites
- Red Sox get Anthony Varvaro from Braves for minor leaguer Aaron Kurcz in swap of right-handers
- Athletics acquire left-hander De La Rosa from Diamondbacks for cash
- Pitcher Kris Medlan, coming off elbow surgery, agrees to $8.5 million, 2-year deal with Royals
- Person with knowledge of deal: Rays send Myers, 3 others to Padres for Rivera
- Athletics trade All-Star catcher Derek Norris to Padres for pair of right-handers
- Person with direct knowledge of deal: Cubs, Motte agree to $4.5 million, 1-year contract
- Yankees GM views Alex Rodriguez as full-time designated hitter, not 'the same player' he was
- Blue Jays sign Wilton Lopez, Caleb Gindle, Jake Fox to minor league deals
- Things to know about Major League Baseball free-agent signings
- Person familiar with agreement: Lester sets records with $30M signing bonus, $15M up front
- Red Sox rebuild rotation in winter almost as quickly as they dismantled it over the summer
- Things to know about the most recent moves in Major League Baseball
- Atlanta Braves and infielder Alberto Callaspo finalize $3 million, 1-year contract
- Chase Headley, Yankees agree to $52 million, 4-year deal, signalling end of A-Rod at third base
- Person with knowledge of negotiations: Alex Rios, Royals agree to $11 million, 1-year contract
- Blue Jays trade Lawrie, prospects to Athletics for all-star Donaldson
- Shutout: All 10 baseball Hall of Fame candidates fall short in Golden Era committee voting
- Giants ride Bumgarner, Crawford into NLDS showdown with Nationals
- Bumgarner goes distance, Crawford hits grand slam as Giants rout Pirates 8-0 in wild-card game
- Pirates carry 3 catchers to protect hurting Martin; Giants put Peavy on wild-card roster
- Washington's Strasburg to face guy he admires, San Francisco's Peavy, in Game 1 of NLDS
- Column: Playoffs open with epic game, but baseball is in need of fixing
- The 1st of October: Mike Trout makes playoff debut when MLB-best Angels host upstart Royals
- Diamondbacks infielder Chris Owings to undergo labrum operation
- Texas gets pitcher Figaro on waiver claim from Rangers, Font designated for assignment
Ads by Google