The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Pirates place Starling Marte on bereavement list; Francisco Liriano set to pitch Sunday
ST. LOUIS - The Pittsburgh Pirates have placed outfielder Starling Marte on the bereavement list and slotted Francisco Liriano's return to the rotation for Sunday, the last game before the All-Star break.
The Pirates selected first baseman Matt Hague from Triple-A Indianapolis before Wednesday night's game against the Cardinals and designated minor league pitcher Duke Welker for assignment. Hague has 13 homers in the minors this year.
Josh Harrison started in left field in place of Marte and batted second against the Cardinals. Marte was batting .256 with five homers, 32 RBIs and 21 steals. Harrison entered as a career .348 hitter at Busch Stadium.
Liriano, 1-6 with a 4.60 ERA, has been sidelined since June 11 with a left oblique strain. He made one minor league rehab start, working six scoreless innings on Monday.
The Pirates placed Gerrit Cole on the DL prior to the game and recalled Brandon Cumpton to start against St. Louis.
Welker was 1-1 with a 4.91 ERA and two saves at Indianapolis before undergoing reconstructive elbow surgery. He was a second-round draft pick of the Pirates in 2007.
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 29 articles for today)9:32 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Lester allows only 5 hits in 7 innings; Athletics top Phillies 3-1
- Lackey shows big-game stuff, Cardinals stay 2 1-2 up in NL Central with 2-1 win over Reds
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Errors doom Astros as Ackley, Zunino and Seager all homer to help Seattle Mariners to 10-5 win
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Trevor Plouffe has RBI single in 10th, Twins rally to beat Indians 5-4
- Padres righty Despaigne dominates Giants again, 5-0
- The Captain: A look back at the magic moments that defined Derek Jeter's illustrious career
- Anderson hit hard in final start as Rockies rout D-backs, 15-3
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Tough questions for both sides as appeals court reconsiders Barry Bonds obstruction conviction
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google