The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Players trust to honour former union head Michael Weiner with scholarship in his name
MINNEAPOLIS - The Major League Baseball Players Trust is going to award up to five scholarships a year in honour of former union head Michael Weiner.
The players trust said Tuesday in a release the Michael Weiner Scholarship for Labor Studies will "recognize and support the efforts of individuals dedicated to improving the lives of workers." Up to five $10,000 scholarships will be awarded annually beginning in 2015.
Weiner died of an inoperable brain tumour in 2012. He was 51.
Major League Baseball Players Association Executive Director Tony Clark announced the scholarship at the Baseball Writers Association of America's meeting ahead of Tuesday's All-Star game.
"Michael's passion, commitment and determination on behalf of others are well known, and it is our hope that through this scholarship we will be able to encourage and inspire others to pursue careers in support of workers' rights," Clark said.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 11 articles for today)5:39 AM 0
MIAMI - The Marlins failed in their late comeback attempt and saw their fleeting playoff hopes come to an end.
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Jackson leaves in 1st as Cubs lose 14-5 to Kershaw, Dodgers
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Justin Bour hits first major league homer in Marlins' 3-2 loss to Nationals
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google