The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Rangers LHP Derek Holland pitches simulated game
ARLINGTON, Texas - Rangers left-hander Derek Holland, sidelined following micro-fracture knee surgery in January, completed a simulated game early Saturday but isn't scheduled to be sent out for a rehab pitching assignment.
Rangers manager Ron Washington said Holland did what he was asked to do during the 67-pitch session, which was designed primarily to test his Holland's ability to field his position.
"There's still a little limp there. Maybe that's going to be there," Washington said. "Derek should be happy with what he accomplished."
Holland led the Rangers in starts last season with 33 while going 10-9 and was a 16-game winner in 2011, when Texas swuccessfully defended its American League pennant. He injured the knee playing with his dog at home.
Holland said he accepts that the decision to return to the active roster is out of his hands. He said he's simply eager to contribute to the Rangers, who went into Saturday afternoon's game against the Minnesota Twins 13 games out in the A.L. West and 6 1/2 games out of a wild-card spot.
"When you're on the DL, you don't feel like you're with the guys," Holland said. "They're out there in the war, and I'm in like the emergency room "
The Rangers have used the disabled list this season more than any other major league team. They got only 12 total starts from fellow left-handers Martin Perez and Matt Harrison before they were both lost for the season in May.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 11 articles for today)5:39 AM 0
MIAMI - The Marlins failed in their late comeback attempt and saw their fleeting playoff hopes come to an end.
Photo Store Gallery
- Cardinals hit 3 home runs, beat Reds 8-4 and move closer to playoff spot
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Jackson leaves in 1st as Cubs lose 14-5 to Kershaw, Dodgers
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Jerome Williams pitches Phillies past A's for his third win against Oakland with as many clubs
- Kinsler homers, Verlander sharp as AL Central-leading Tigers beat up second-place Royals 10-1
- Diamondbacks slide reaches 5 games after 5-1 loss to Rockies
- Bautista HR, Stroman pitches 6 gritty innings as Blue Jays end 6-game skid, beat Yankees 6-3
- Justin Bour hits first major league homer in Marlins' 3-2 loss to Nationals
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles fans bid farewell to Jeter in ceremony before his final game at Camden Yards
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google