The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION

Red Sox place 1B Mike Carp on the disabled list with broken right foot; SS Drew making debut

  • Print

CLEVELAND - Boston's record looks healthier. Now, if the Red Sox could just do the same with their roster.

The World Series champions put first baseman Mike Carp on the 15-day disabled list before Monday night's game against Cleveland because of a broken right foot. They also welcomed back shortstop Stephen Drew and put him right into the lineup for his season debut.

"I know this team," Drew said, "and they know me, so it's nothing new."

Carp broke his foot last week, when he fouled ball off it in Atlanta. He played a few more games, but was bothered by the injury over the weekend and tests taken Sunday revealed the fracture.

Carp's foot will be immobilized in a boot for at least one week and he will need another week of rehab before he resumes baseball activities.

"So we're still a little ways away before he's back to us," Red Sox manager John Farrell said before the series opener with the Indians.

The Red Sox, who recently lost 10 straight games, have been battling injuries most of this season. Outfielder Shane Victorino (hamstring), first baseman Mike Napoli (finger sprain) and starter Clay Buchholz (sprained knee) are all on the disabled list.

Boston is getting some help in the meantime as the club activated Drew. Farrell said Drew will be eased into the lineup, but will likely soon take over as Boston's everyday shortstop.

"Initially we're still in the building phase of games played, repetition to it," Farrell said. "To say that he comes back and goes every day might be a little aggressive at this point. Stephen Drew, up to full game speed, is a damn good player. I'm not looking to build in days off."

Drew re-signed with the Red Sox last month after he initially rejected a $14.1 million qualifying offer from them and became a free agent.

Fact Check

Fact Check

Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.

* Required
  • Please post the headline of the story or the title of the video with the error.

  • Please post exactly what was wrong with the story.

  • Please indicate your source for the correct information.

  • Yes

    No

  • This will only be used to contact you if we have a question about your submission, it will not be used to identify you or be published.

  • Cancel

Having problems with the form?

Contact Us Directly
  • Print

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective April 16, 2010.

letters

Make text: Larger | Smaller

LATEST VIDEO

Jaws of life used to free two people after two-car collision

View more like this

Photo Store Gallery

  • Marc Gallant/Winnipeg Free Press. Gardening Column- Assiniboine Park English Garden. July 19, 2002.
  • Down the Hatch- A pelican swallows a fresh fish that it caught on the Red River near Lockport, Manitoba. Wednesday morning- May 01, 2013   (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)

View More Gallery Photos

Poll

How surpised are you by the Bombers’ 4-1 start to the season?

View Results

Ads by Google