The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Reds put 1B Joey Votto back on DL with leg injury, need to find fill-in for near future
CINCINNATI - The Reds placed Canadian first baseman Joey Votto back on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday with a nagging thigh injury that is expected to limit him for the rest of the season.
Catcher Brayan Pena was activated off the paternity list before a doubleheader against the Chicago Cubs. Pena will be one of the primary fill-ins at first base while Votto is gone. It's unclear when he might be back.
"Our plan of attack will be to do everything we can to get him back to play over the course of the year," manager Bryan Price said. "We don't have a timetable on how long that will be, but the goal is to get him back and able to help us before the year is out."
Votto, from Toronto, earlier missed 23 games while on the DL with a strained muscle above his left knee. It's not expected to heal completely until the off-season.
Votto was limited when he returned from the disabled list, batting only .250 in 23 games. He hasn't homered since May 10.
The knee began bothering him again last week. Tests on Monday found that he has aggravated the injury.
The Reds will consider trading for an experienced first baseman as a backup.
"I think we'll see how things unfold here in the next couple of weeks," Price said. "It's a talking point, but right now that's all it is."
Nobody else on the roster has much experience at first. Outfielder Jay Bruce made his first appearance there since high school on Monday night. Third baseman Todd Frazier also has played at first base.
For now, Price plans to use those three at the position.
"I don't want to create a black hole over there," Price said. "I don't think we will. I wouldn't put someone over there if I didn't feel they were capable of holding down the position. That being said, we don't have a lot of players with any real history as true first basemen."
Follow Joe Kay on Twitter: http://twitter.com/apjoekay
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 31 articles for today)9:37 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Lester allows only 5 hits in 7 innings; Athletics top Phillies 3-1
- Lackey shows big-game stuff, Cardinals stay 2 1-2 up in NL Central with 2-1 win over Reds
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Errors doom Astros as Ackley, Zunino and Seager all homer to help Seattle Mariners to 10-5 win
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Trevor Plouffe has RBI single in 10th, Twins rally to beat Indians 5-4
- Padres righty Despaigne dominates Giants again, 5-0
- The Captain: A look back at the magic moments that defined Derek Jeter's illustrious career
- Anderson hit hard in final start as Rockies rout D-backs, 15-3
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Tough questions for both sides as appeals court reconsiders Barry Bonds obstruction conviction
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google