Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
Rivera pitches in for A-Rod, believes he's innocent
NEW YORK -- Mariano Rivera says he believes Alex Rodriguez is innocent.
The retired Yankees reliever said Thursday he's willing to accept the word of the three-time AL MVP, who insists he didn't take any performance-enhancing drugs after New York acquired him from Texas in 2004.
"If he tells me something, I'm going to believe him. Definitely," Rivera said. "But again, that's me. He's my friend, and if he tells me something I'm going to believe him."
Rodriguez was suspended for 211 games by Major League Baseball on Aug. 5 for alleged violations of the sport's drug agreement and labour contract. He was allowed to keep playing pending a determination of the grievance filed by the players' association to overturn the discipline.
Thirteen other players accepted penalties, with Ryan Braun getting a 65-game suspension and the others 50 games each.
Republished from the Winnipeg Free Press print edition November 22, 2013 C6
Have you found an error, or know of something we’ve missed in one of our stories?
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 37 articles for today)8:58 PM 0
Photo Store Gallery
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Barry Bonds' obstruction of justice conviction goes back before a court
- Rays beat Yankees 6-1 as Derek Jeter gets hit and benches empty in testy game
- After blowing lead in top of the 9th, Twins rally for 4-3 victory over Tigers
- Angels' magic number for clinching AL West drops to 2 despite 13-2 loss to Mariners
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Amarista hits two-run homer, lifts Padres to 5-4 win over Phillies
- Blue Jays rookie Stroman suspended 6 games for pitch at Joseph's head, appeals penalty
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Man facing charges for smuggling baseball players
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Man charged in Florida with role in smuggling Dodgers OF Puig out of Cuba
- Orioles' Davis suspended 25 games for positive amphetamine test, he attributes to Adderall
- Marlins' Stanton tweets that he's 'much better,' 1 day after taking pitch in the face
- Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon hits 2 Washington batters, ejected along with manager Terry Collins
- Vintage baseball proves a hit; modern players embrace 19th-century rules, uniforms, history
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Marlins star Stanton sustains multiple fractures in beaning vs Brewers, likely done for season
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Fish dinger derby in Sioux Falls puts them in command of North Division
Ads by Google