The Canadian Press - ONLINE EDITION
Schafer drives in 4 runs, Twins beat Royals 11-5 in 10 innings
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Jordan Schafer and the Minnesota Twins finally broke it open in the 10th inning.
Schafer tied a career high with four RBIs, leading the Twins to an 11-5 victory over the Kansas City Royals.
Bruce Chen (2-4), the sixth pitcher for the AL Central-leading Royals, gave up five hits and walked two in the 10th.
"I didn't make good pitches and they get base hit after base hit after base hit," Chen said.
Eduardo Nunez singled home the go-ahead run and Schafer had a two-run single. Brian Dozier added a two-run double and Kurt Suzuki capped the burst with an RBI double for his third hit of the game.
"It was another one where we could have won or lost," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "We could have won all three or lost all three. Tonight was no different. We hung in there and finally had the big inning. It was a nice win for us after two tough losses."
Minnesota had lost its last four games against Kansas City and seven of eight overall in the season series. Schafer had three hits while extending his hitting streak to eight games.
"Anytime you can help your team, it's good, whether it's with defence or stolen bases or scoring runs," said Schafer, who stole a base and scored two runs.
Anthony Swarzak (3-1) picked up the victory.
Alex Gordon homered off Ryan Pressly to lead off the Royals seventh, tying it at 5.
Twins left-hander Tommy Milone was pulled after 5 1-3 innings, giving up four runs and nine hits. He is winless in four starts since the Twins acquired him in a July 31 trade with Oakland.
Royals right-hander Jeremy Guthrie, who was 5-1 in his previous six starts, exited after six innings. He gave up five runs and nine hits.
ROYALS ADD NIX
The Royals claimed INF Jayson Nix off waivers from the Pittsburgh Pirates, where he was 4 for 36 in 16 games. Nix, 32, began the season with Philadelphia and also played in the minors with Durham, the Rays' Triple-A club.
Dozier went 3 for 5 for his ninth three-hit game of the season. He is hitting .400 with eight RBIs since Aug 22.
Royals RHP Kelvin Herrera pitched the eighth to extend his scoreless inning streak to 23 1-3 innings.
Twins: 1B Joe Mauer didn't start for the first time since returning Aug. 11 after missing 34 games with a right oblique strain. "I watched him last night," Gardenhire said. "I thought he was dragging a little bit. You've got to do it for him. He's in the training room, getting treatment every day like everybody else." Mauer walked as a pinch hitter in the 10th and stayed in the game to play 1B.
Royals: LHP Scott Downs (stiff neck) was activated from the disabled list. ... 1B Eric Hosmer (fractured right hand) participated in batting practice for the first time since going on the disabled list Aug. 1. ... RHP Michael Mariot (right hamstring injury) was recalled from Triple-A Omaha and transferred to the 60-day disabled list.
Twins: Rookie RHP Trevor May (0-3) is looking for his first big league victory Friday night at Baltimore. He gave up five runs and 11 hits in 5 1-3 innings in an 8-6 loss to Detroit on Saturday.
Royals: LHP Jason Vargas will start Friday night's series opener against the Indians. He has a 1.24 ERA in his 10 wins and a 6.29 ERA in his six losses.
Please use the form below and let us know.
Having problems with the form?Contact Us Directly
(1 of 28 articles for today)9:21 PM 0
ATLANTA - The slumping Atlanta Braves were shut down by Jonathon Niese and lost 4-2 to the New York Mets ...
Photo Store Gallery
- Lester allows only 5 hits in 7 innings; Athletics top Phillies 3-1
- Lackey shows big-game stuff, Cardinals stay 2 1-2 up in NL Central with 2-1 win over Reds
- Tigers win appeal on wild play, Scherzer and Tigers top Royals 3-2 to boost AL Central lead
- Errors doom Astros as Ackley, Zunino and Seager all homer to help Seattle Mariners to 10-5 win
- Coghlan hits 2-run homer off Wilson in eighth as Cubs rally to beat Dodgers 8-7
- Two decades in the making, ovation builds for Jeter's final farewell at Yankee Stadium
- Trevor Plouffe has RBI single in 10th, Twins rally to beat Indians 5-4
- Padres righty Despaigne dominates Giants again, 5-0
- The Captain: A look back at the magic moments that defined Derek Jeter's illustrious career
- Anderson hit hard in final start as Rockies rout D-backs, 15-3
- Saying goodbye difficult task for Fish
- Umpire Joe West suspended for 1 game without pay for grabbing jersey of Phillies' Papelbon
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Fan heckling Nationals star Bryce Harper in Atlanta ejected by veteran umpire Tim Welke
- Kent Tekulve, former reliever and Pirates studio commentator, recovering from heart transplant
- Former Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington apologizes to breaking wife's trust
- Slumping Derek Jeter gets night off from Yankees' starting lineup
- Orioles' celebration of AL East title was 17 years in the making
- Phillies' Burnett beaten by Padres, absorbs majors-worst 17th loss
- Tough questions for both sides as appeals court reconsiders Barry Bonds obstruction conviction
- Trophy Fish clinch North Division
- Goldeyes lick Saltdogs 7-6
- Goldeyes now out of season
- Goldeyes' game against Railcats pushed back
- Fish feast on 'Cats
- Fish fail to close the deal
- Fish dump Saltdogs in first playoff game
- Goldeyes playoff run over with 2-0 loss to Saltdogs
- Fish bats fall silent as Lincoln evens series
- Hernandez is first Fish hurler to win AA pitcher of the year
Ads by Google